Sunday, March 14, 2010

Things they really should tell you - part dva (2)

There are things you never thought would tickle you so much. Little things in your day with your little one- firsts that you knew were going to happen, but when the do happen, the pure joy that comes over you makes up for everything else.

Things like:

MORNING. When Anya wakes up in the morning, she always comes to my side of the bed first. She wants to snuggle. Her kinda-whisper (remember the previous post about her communication volume? Her whisper isn't so quiet) - generally counting to 10, or saying 'I love you Mommy'.

PRAYERS. Now that Anya has been with us for almost 2 weeks, she has seen our routines, including prayer time at meals and at bedtime. I posted a little note about her praying the other day. Seeing her eager face the first time she prayed at dinner, or even when I asked her to please wait to start eating, and seeing her 'get it' - and quickly clasp her hands in the praying-position. If my heart had cockles, they'd be warmed.

BATH TIME. I have claimed this time. It is mine, and I will not share it with anyone else, even Daddy (at least for now). I love how Anya wants me to pick her up and out of the bath, how she wants me to bathe her, the little content look she gets on her face when I am washing her hair. It is our time. We talk, laugh...even if I don't completely understand what she is telling me, she talks and chatters on and on. She has seen my bath routine, how after a shower, I put on lotion. Now - she insists on cream, exclaiming, "I need NEED cream". Especially on her face (where the majority of my lotion potions go - hee hee!). Hearing her say "I need cream, like mommy" - yep, THAT is MY girl!

NATURAL ABILITY. Seeing Anya for Anya. Watching her, observing her God given talents. That is amazing. Seeing her throw a ball, the way she love sports. The flip side of that coin is to see her draw. She can really DRAW! When she is creating a picture, she really sees what she is creating (which makes no sense unless you have observed a creative person 'create').

I'm sure throughout the years, her abilities will be finely tuned and will change. I think that is great - I am proud to be her Mommy, and encourage her to seek out those God given talents!

GIRL TIME. Pretty clear that Anya's favorite is Daddy, That is awesome! But there are those times that only a Mommy can handle. Hair brushing, toenail painting, choosing clothes, making dinner. Today, it was toenail painting...and it was awesome! No one told me how great it would be to hear my little girl say "Mommy"!

YUM YUM - for someone who is not a cook, not domestic, and never really tried to be...harvesting that part of my personality for the sake of motherhood has been a - well, opportunity. To make something here, from scratch - and have your little girl look at you and (scream, of course) yum yum yum yum! Well, that is about as good as it gets!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hear swelled with happiness to read about your joys of motherhood. It actually brought tears to my eyes remembering my little ones and how they loved doing those things with me.

The cooking thing really is about the kids. I have found that now that they aren't around, I don't enjoy cooking. Feeding your family and seeing them enjoying it brings you such a warm fuzzy feeling. I think that's why I like cooking for the holidays even if I do get stressed out.

Kathy, thanks for sharing your stories with all of us-- the good and the bad. Anya will bless you and Marty with many, many memories to relive in your mind forever.

Hope you all can get home very soon.

Love ya,
Valerie from Valdosta

kate said...

It's just such a precious time, isn't it? Even in the midst of all the changes, it's precious.

I know you've seen all the posts over the years on FRUA asking what is the youngest child that can be adopted. It makes me so sad...and a little angry.

I love all your girlie times. We still do cream after every bath--good bonding! She loves to have me make my handprint on her tummy in cream.