Tuesday, March 16, 2010

survived the day

Today, we decided we'd go to the Chinese Market. We needed some excitement, adventure - and a pair of gloves.

The Chinese Market has a long history of thieves. Every time we've been in Irkutsk, and we've driven by or even mentioned the market - the 'local' that is with us tells us stories of Americans who have been robbed there.

We've been a few times in the past, and have never been robbed - so we thought we'd give it a try today. We had a plan, we weren't carrying any valuables, we were on a glove seeking mission!

We get there, walk into the first stand, and inquire about a pair of gloves. We get about 3 stands down, and I am pretty sure some kind of signal went out to the entire market that there were Americans in the building.

We end up at this booth near the back, and the Chinese woman tending it said something about 'American' (Marty knows a little Chinese, so he quickly recognized the word).

The end of the story? We got 2 pairs of gloves (one for Marty, and one for Anya) and headed back to the walking street. No harm, no foul, no robberies - just some yadda-yadda about the 'Americans'. Kinda funny. I bet they were disappointed we didn't spend a lot of money. Only about $25.

...and that was our day.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I think you remember how we stumbled upon the market on one of our walks and never went back after being "warned"! I'm glad you went prepared and got what you were looking for!

It is a little overwelming for the relatively small space it occupies!

Anonymous said...

To bad there wasn't a Dollar Store
I bought 2 fleece hats and 2 pair of gloves yesterday for $2.50!!
Before long it will be Home Sweet Home....God Bless, Pam, South Bend