Saturday, March 20, 2010

food - beef stew

BEEF STEW
There are no veggie broth type things here in Russia, so I improvised. At home I make this in the crock pot with veggie broth. I let it sit in the crock pot all day (about 5-6 hours at least).

3 onion bullion cubes
3 tomato bullion cubes (they might be red pepper, kinda hard to tell)

About 4-5 carrots
½ cup celery (optional as this is very hard to find and pretty expensive in Russia)
4-5 potatoes
1 cup green beans, could also add in some mushrooms
About 4 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
Also add in the following to taste: basil, oregano, garlic
Cubed beef

Put into large pot on oven set to about med-med-hi. Let come to a boil, and reduce heat to low and simmer for about an hour.

I cook the meat in the oven and add it in later (since I am a vegetarian)…this is always a family favorite! And if REALLY good the next day.

No comments: