Friday, March 19, 2010

food - lentil soup (VERY good!)

Lentil Soup

I never thought I would like Lentil Soup, but this is really REALLY good. Marty loves it, and asks me to make it ALL the time. This recipe came from Tami!

NOTE: this makes A LOT of soup – way too much for a family of 3 or 4. But, it keeps very well, and is good the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th day.

I’ve altered the original recipe to show how we make it.

1lb ground beef
Garlic to taste
5-6 carrots
1 bag dried lentils (about a 1lb bag)
1 can diced tomatoes
4 beef bouillon cubes, or 8 small ones (I used 4 onion and 4 red pepper cubes)
12 cups water
2 bay leaves
3 tsp basil
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp parsley

Rinse lentils
Brown ground beef (I made the beef after the soup was done, and added it at the last minute, was fine that way – also very VERY good without meat)

Add all ingredients in a large soup pot, bring to boil.

Simmer on low for about an hour and ½ or so.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds good-minus the meat.