Friday, January 02, 2009

The Big Party

Well, we've spoken to all the caregivers, gotten permission from the head caregiver, and the pans are in motion for the big party tomorrow. It kind-of (ok, it A LOT) stinks that everything is closed. I couldn't do any party supply shopping Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - which is when I had planned to get it done. I thought I would scope out a few places, get some ideas etc. Now, I am only going to have time to grab and go.

So far, I have the food and activities done. Got cakes (the are individual on a popsicle stick), juice boxes for everyone (huge hit from Anya), candy (hard candy and chocolate), and t-shirts.

I will need to get 12 coloring books, crayons, balls for the boys - any anything else I see that the kids would like.

My intreperter doesn't seem too excited to help me get this stuff, so I might need to call in back up. I will only have about 2 hours to get it done tomorrow...and if things are closed, I am going to have a problem.

There is a huge market here - I wonder if they have toys there. The markets seems to be open.

Also need to get a few gifts for men...3 men, and I am at a loss - any ideas? One is the security guard at the orphanage - he is so nice, always says "hello Katherine!". The other 2 are for younger men.

2 comments:

J. said...

We usually bring good quality tools for men - but I suppose that doesn't help since you're there - but maybe you'll find a hardware kiosk? Seems there is one in every "mall" in Angarsk. As for balls - we found them to be VERY expensive in Russia - I think it's because unlike the hard plastic toys from China which are really cheap, the balls made of soft rubber cost alot more than in the USA. They wanted like $10.00 US for the standard supermarket type balls that you see in wire bins here. We finally found some in a kiosk in a supermarket. They came in all sizes and colors, and were kinds knubby and underinflated - but when we got them to the apt. we learned they were great for indoor play - unlike the regular ones. The boys loved them and the little knubs on them made them easy to handle.

Michelle Wegner said...

Belle picked out a deoderant/aftershave kit for Rob and I didn't realize until he opened it that it said on the back, "turning nice girls naughty." Yep, he even read it out loud (before he knew what it said) as he was opening it on Christmas morning.
Pretty funny. I would not reccomend this for a Russian man. :)