So, I was sitting talking with Anya's caregivers. They were asking me where in the US we lived. Generally, I just say near Chicago - it is much easier than to explain where the booming metropolis of Bristol, IN is.
Here is how that conversation went:
me: "close to Chicago"
them: "oh, do you know Barack Obama?"
me: (laughing) "um, no..."
them: "do you have a gardener?"
me" "yes, the gardener is me"
them: "do you have a house director?"
me: (after long pause trying to figure out what a house director was) "I guess that would be me too"
them: "how many employees do you have?"
me: "none"
them: "do you have a driver?"
me: "nope!"
pause
them: "you don't know Barack Obama?"
me: (laughing again) "sorry, no I don't"
3 comments:
Foreigners are enthralled with Obama. When I was in London in November, every single taxi driver asked me if I knew Obama. And I didn't even say I lived near Chicago...LWojo
On our first trip to Russia in 2003, back when there were only 2 tv stations, Mike summed it all up after a week of watching what little tv there was. You see more than 1/2 of their programming is old US televion series, with RUssian Voice-overs. In 2003 things like "Dynasty" "Charlies Angels" and Soap operas were popular. And, if you pay real close attention, you'll notice ALL the characters in them:
1. Are Rich
2. Have "staff" i.e. maids, butlers, gardeners, drivers, etc.
2. Don't seem to work much or hard
3. have a bar in their homes, and have martinis whenever someone visits.
THIS truly is their perception of life in the US! Doesn't seem possible, but knowing little more than what is portrayed on television (and what is reported to them in the newspapers) they don't know any better!
That is hilarious!!! Too funny!!!
The voice over shows were way to funny!!
Post a Comment