I know I asked you all to pray for my travel today - maybe I needed to be clearer...here is how my day started...
Well, my day got off to a rocky start. As expected, Alex called promptly at 5:30am to tell me that my taxi was waiting outside – and the car number was 129. So, I gather my things, put my coat on and head downstairs. The apartment I was staying at had a unique key lock system, so I could shut the door of the apartment –and lock it with out a key…so I left the key inside for Alex.
I head down to the security area of the apartment, luggage in tow – push my way through the maze of doors to actually get outside…and no car. My first thought was that the car was on the way, no big deal, I’ll just stand in the freezing cold and wait…and wait, and wait, and wait. Since I had left the keys in the apartment, I had no way to get back into the apartment building. My only choice was to wait – did I mention it was freezing cold? I would guess it was about -10 or -15.
I start to pray – God knows where that taxi is – so I was praying that He would somehow bring that taxi to me (it was pretty clear that where that taxi was waiting for me, wasn’t where I was).
10 minutes go by, 15 minutes go by…I thought maybe the taxi was at the side of the building. The apartment is kind of on a corner, so I hauled my junk through the snow and ice, around the corner – there was one taxi there, but it wasn’t my car – the number wasn’t 129.
This side of the building is a little creepy at night – so I decide to go back to the part of the building that is well lit. Of course, on my way there, I am asked by 2 taxi drivers if I need a ride – they were not the taxi I was waiting for – so I said no. I’ve learned that taxi drivers in Irkutsk can be a little unsafe and not so honest…it is best to stick to those drivers Alex knows.
Well, not we’re looking at 25 minutes from the time I THOUGHT the taxi was waiting for me. My prayers of “God protect me” turn to “Oh God, HELP!”.
My prayers turned to panic, and the panic turned to tears. Do you blame me? I have a history of bad experiences trying to get out of Russia – by the time I am packed, I am ready to go home – don’t want to stay, don’t want delays – I want to go home.
A man walking a dog passed me, looked at me strangely – so I said ‘please, help – telephone?” He pretended he didn’t hear me.
I summons all the courage I have, and walk back around the corner to the dark side of the building. There were several cars and that one taxi sitting there – certainly someone would have a phone I could use.
Then the thought occurred to me – who am I going to call? I need Alex’s phone number, and I wasn’t sure where I had put that. Generally – that is on a piece of paper that never leaves me when I am in Russia. I have all kinds of important information on that paper - Alex’s number, his assistant’s number, my apartment address, the phone numbers for the Jackson’s. But where is that paper?
I opened my bag, and as if God himself reached into my luggage – that darn piece of paper was sitting right there on top.
Number in hand, I head to the dark corner. Of course, by this time, no one is there – the only car is that one taxi whose driver was sleeping. I have no choice – I knock on the window. He jumps about 10 feet in the air, and blurts out something in Russian to me. He could probably tell I was a little distressed – I asked him for help, and if I could use his phone. He pulls out his phone, and hands it to me.
WHEW!
Now – let’s hope that Alex answers his phone…it is in the middle of the night. First ring, I hear ‘hello’ – PRAISE GOD!
Alex happened to be in a taxi, around the corner from where I was. He was putting my bag in the car within 2 minutes.
I still don’t know where the original taxi was. Neither does Alex. Generally if a car is called, and goes to pick up the people – and the people don’t show up – Alex gets a call. He never got a call.
I got to the airport, through passport control and security with no problems. On to Moscow!
Monday, January 05, 2009
prayers were for easy and safe travel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment