
I can’t believe it’s been 4 weeks. 4 weeks ago today, we walked into that horrible orphanage in Sholokhov for the last time, and opened a new door to the rest of our lives.
I can’t say it’s been exactly as I thought it would be – but then again, I didn’t know what it would be like. It’s hasn’t been easy; and it hasn’t been as hard as I thought it might be.
Today, Anya speaks almost entirely English. Even with her Russian teacher, she is using English words to communicate.
She knows the Alphabet, and can count to 100 (with help) in English.
She can be a picky eater. Might like beans the first time around, but not the second (this goes for any bean apparently; green, black – doesn’t matter).
She has gained a few pounds – we think about 5.
Anya has a lot of strength; both physically and with her Will.
She is learning how to be in a family, and what that means. For her, we think the hardest part has been what she knew of us before she came home. She knew us as people who would come and play with her, every ounce of attention was placed on her. We always came bearing gifts, candy, gum, water or juice. The reality of things is a little different, and it’s been an adjustment for her to understand that.
She is a good girl, well behaved and understands boundaries and rules. She doesn’t always remember the rules, but when reminded she exclaims “Oi!” and then complies.
Anya is a very loving little girl. Very affectionate. Definitely a Daddy’s girl.
We talk a lot about home in America. She watches movies showing pictures of home. We talk about the people at home, who her friends will be. We practice her name “ANYA FRIEND”.
She mimics the silliest things. Her latest word string is “okey dokey smokey”.
We certainly have been blessed with an amazing little one. Sometimes I wish I had a crystal ball so I could see what the future holds for her – but then again, I want her to stay just the way she is…at least for a little bit longer.
6 comments:
Oh, we SO love foods the first time and then never again. Never.
WOW on the counting to 100 AND the five pounds. FIVE POUNDS??? Amazing.
Congratulations!!
Sounds so so familiar in many ways! Can't wait to meet her!
Nathan's saying now is "easy peasy lemon squeezy"... not sure where that came from tho!
Yay! Sounds like things are going well! So very happy for you! She's a beauty for sure. So glad you all are "on your way home"
Awwww....
Can't wait for yall to be able to go home too. You must be going nuts!
It's hard to imagine all of the "NEW" things she will be adjusting to....
sights sounds smells culture
new seasons new routines....she
is very blessed to have two parents that will walk with her each step of the way....following
their FATHERS WILL
When I adopted my 13 month old, she was 17 pounds. I wanted her to be 20 pounds when we got home. We were not in Khabarovsk for a whole month, but close. She was 19 pounds when we left Moscow.
And another one,
OKEY DOKEY ARTICHOKEY!
that one is big in my class!
So loving that your blog is now open!!!
Post a Comment