Saturday, March 13, 2010

Step #1 done, Step #2 done, Step #3 in process

Yep, you heard it here first. The blue dog jumped over the red moon. Errrr, I mean, the passport is in process. Getting a passport her feels like some kind of James Bond 007 mission - which is why I accidentally (hee hee) started talking about this in code.

Seriously, DO NOT ever complain about the way passports are done in the U.S.!

We went to the passport office. In this little waiting room area, there were about 200 people jammed in there like sardines. All staring at us like something that just walked in from off of the moon. Anyway - we walked through the crowd, to this door in the back of the room - and walked right in...which got some interesting looks from the crowd. We waited about 2 minutes before the woman at the back desk motioned for us to come over and sit down. She took a STACK of documents from Andrew, and inspected each one very carefully. She was asking questions - I got nervous. She then wanted to see our passports, but never even glanced at mine. She inspected Marty's as if it wasn't real. She looked at his immigration paperwork, Visa, and his registration card. There was something about the registration she didn't like. She took it out of his passport and left the room.

(insert sound of freaking out here)

This is when I started to pray. Just about went to my knees!

Marty asked Andrew what the deal was, and she wanted to make sure it was authentic (huh? it has the oh coveted stamp on it!). She returned to the room, apparently with the power-that-be's approval. She then wanted to see the original adoption decree and original birth certificate (although she had perfectly good copies in her stand of papers).

All of this is very typical of getting anything done here - so really, nothing was out of the ordinary.

We asked about obtainng a regular passport rather than a biometric one. In order to do that, we would need to approach the chief of that passport office. The chief only works on Friday and Tuesday (from something like 11 - 3). There was no guarantee he would grant our request, and if he did grant it, we would have to resubmit all of the documents and still wait the 2 weeks to get the passport issued.

In other words, things are NOT like they are at home. At home, if you have an emergency, you can pay to have your passport expidited. Not here. I wonder what happens when someone has to leave the country for an emergency...they probably die waiting for thier passport to be delivered from the official government courier.

We were told that we can start checking to see if the passport came in on the 22nd. That is in a week and 1/2. There is no phone number to call (like the USCIS!), you have to show up...and when you show up, you wait to see if the box of passports was delivered that day. That is what all those people were doing out in the lobby area. Waiting on the mail to arrive (basically).

So we wait, and pray.

Ya know that book "Eat, Sleep and Pray"? I should write a book called "Pray, wait and Pray"

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Is Andrew the one saying they said to check on the 22nd? Not trying to get your hopes up but he usually is conservative rather than optimistic... crossed fingers!

And how'd you get in so quickly?!? :) We had to wait in that sardine stuffed room for at least 30-minutes if not longer!

I too kept checking flights home-made me feel better I guess. And then when we finally walked into the Aeroflot office and booked to Moscow it was like it was a dream!

Lisa said...

Yep... that passport office in tiny tiny! Not good for one who deals poorly with tight spaces or crowded rooms. Andrew took us there to meet Alex on Friday of the week we were there... SUPER CROWDED and people were definitely staring.

julian said...

Oh Kathy! You don't know me, but I have been following you through a friend (Melissa) and she has been sharing your progress. I honestly used to think you were an urban legend! Now that your blog is open, I am reading and reading to catch the details I have missed..I am so happy for you and your family. I see you post on Kate's blog sometimes and always said a little prayer for you. Now I can pray differently for you.
Thank you for opening the blog up while you are still there!
Enjoy your new life!
julianne

kate said...

I remember how long it took us--and that was Moscow. It all hinged, as you remember, on a spat that the various offices were having--and was resolved by us paying for a hotel room for two nights and getting an extra, unnecessary registration stamp.

Hang in there.