Tuesday, March 02, 2010

FIRST DAY

FIRST DAY
The only thing that comes to mind is God Blessed. Seriously. Now that the first day is over, I will admit that I was scared – borderline terrified. Not that I couldn’t do it, not that we couldn’t handle whatever came up…but just that things would be hard and go badly for Anya. And, just the opposite happened.

After we picked up Anya from the Orphanage, we were dropped off back at the apartment. We ate a late lunch (grill cheese sandwiches, pickles and fish crackers), and then went out to the market. We were out of milk and other necessities that we needed before our weekly trek to the big supermarket with the Jacksons.

Anyway, we walked down Karl Marks Street to the Clata grocery store. It is quite a walk, and Anya did such a good job. We stopped on the way at the ice sculptures, and Anya slid down some of the ice slides. She was pretty wide-eyed in the store. She wanted to be sure that I saw everything there was to see in the store!

On the walk home, Anya got tired. I can only imagine all the build up and excitement from the day! We was a little trooper! We got back to the apartment, and Anya played some games (on the IPod of course), had great fun changing the channel on the TV a million times, and blew bubbles in the Kitchen (I know…bad mom for letting her do that!).

By then, it was about dinner time, I made beef stew. It was ochen fakoosna! (very tasty!)

Then bath time – Anya loved bath time. I tell you, her hair is a completely different color after I washed it! Her little feet are so ticklish that it was hard to really scrub her tootsies, but that’s ok. At least I know they’re clean!

She thought it was pretty funny that I insisted on some baby oil for her arms and legs. My mom made her some new jammies, and Anya was very excited to put them on. I dried her hair a little bit with the hair dryer, just so it wasn’t dripping wet. We then sat on the couch (yes, the most uncomfortable sofa on the planet!), and watched Little Mermaid.

Then Larisa called – my Russian friend from home. We let Anya talk on the phone with Larisa…she wasn’t sure what to make of that!

She almost feel asleep watching the movie, so at about 8:45 we decided it was time for her to go to bed. We thought 8:30 was a good bedtime, so we were generally right on track.

Got her into bed kissed her goodnight and that was that! She is out like a light – snoring and everything!

Marty and I have been watching the SyFi Channel series called Eureka. I hate science fiction, but this series is really good. Every night we watch an episode. So, tonight – we got to do that too! That is one thing that I didn’t think we were going to be able to do again for a while. Yay!

We misunderstood what Andrew was telling us about the documents on the way home from the orphanage today. I thought he said that we were going right then to some office to get some official document and deal with the birth certificate thing right away. Well, not so much. Apparently the court has to mail that final document to some office (that is called the ‘marriage office’), and that will take until maybe Friday. Then once they get that piece of mail, then we can deal with the birth certificate. Andrew said that the passport thing can take 3 maybe 4 weeks (someone shoot me NOW!). I am praying about that. That would mean that we have another 5-6 weeks ahead of us…and I can’t really even think about that right now.

(will add photos when bandwidth will allow)

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like a great first day together! How was it picking her up from the orphanage? How did the staff react to her leaving/saying goodbye etc?

Can't wait to see pictures!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Fran said...

I am so excited - and she loves the jammies!! (insert big smile here)
Grammie

Debbie said...

wonderful update! Will pray about that passport situation... I KNOW how waiting for that is... chat later!

Nicki said...

Kathy, I cried as I saw the pictures, I am so thankful for your blessings. She is amazing! (and you!) Thank you so much for letting us all be a part of your miracle. Huggies to you all!

stephanie said...

Kathy - So happy for you!!! Gotta get that passport sooner - praying for you for this to happen.

kate said...

What a blessing that she went to sleep so easily! I'm praying she continues to sleep well--because then you will, too.

I'm curious about how she left the orphanage, too. We had more of a don't-let-the-door-hit-you leave-taking than others I know. I hope Anya got to say some goodbyes.

General said...

SO happy for you guys! Praying the rest goes as quickly as possible!

JulieNicholas said...

Sounds like a great first day! So glad Anya slept well! She is probably so relieved to finally be with her mama and papa! :) I cannot express how happy I am for you!!!

Joan Yoder said...

What a beautiful first day for the Friend family. I am so excited for all of you!!!