THE TRIP HERE
Amazingly – there were no obstacles, no problems, no issues with our trip here. We got our luggage just fine in Moscow, stayed for a few hours at The Atlanta hotel in Moscow, and then flew out of the new terminal (D) in Moscow. That terminal was SO much nicer and easy to navigate. We didn’t need help finding our way at all. The most amazing thing about this part of the trip was the luggage. If you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you probably know that I do not like paying for overage in baggage. Yes, know there are “rules”, but I don’t like it.
We had to pay $50 in South Bend for an extra piece of luggage, and fully intended on having to pay in the $200 range in Moscow for overage in our baggage allowance. We have always had to pay this (even when our bags were well within the allowances). Well, we were not charged a dime in Moscow! Praise God!
We got to Irkutsk on time, and flew into the new terminal…which is like night and day to the old terminal. To put things into perspective, to claim your bags at the old terminal, you would claim them from a turn-style made of tin and wood…the new terminal has a REAL baggage carousel. It is very nice.
We’re staying with the Jackson family – so Steve picked us up from the airport. We came back to the house, and had a great breakfast with Tami and the kids. We called our guy here to make arrangements to go and see Anya this afternoon. Apparently since this is our first official meeting with the officials at the new orphanage, we were not allowed to go this afternoon. I guess ALL of the officials need to be present at that meeting (the director, social worker, care giver, bla bla bla) and someone couldn’t be there. This meeting is requires so that they can make a report for the court. BOO HISS!
Although I know this kind of thing happens, it doesn’t make it any easier when it does happen. Our guy will come to see us this afternoon (although it will most likely be WAY later, like 6-7pm) to talk about this meeting, and gather some documents from us. We have the meeting with the group of officials at the orphanage tomorrow at 10am. We will see Anya then.
Right now, all I really want to do is lay down and watch some mindless dribble on one of the DVDs I brought. I am forcing my eyeballs to stay open. One thing about traveling 13 time zones away is that it is REALLY important to force yourself to stay awake this first day her. I planned to go to bed at about 6-7pm, but with my luck, our guy won’t come to see us until later. Ugh! OH well, sleep is over rated, right?
12 comments:
I have been anxiously waiting for an update! My prayers, along with several other for safe travels, have been answered!
I'm so glad that your trip was as smooth as it was. Glad you're there safely. Can't wait till Alex picks you up to see Anya tomorrow.
So glad to hear you made is safely to Irkutsk. Please post more after you meet with the director/social worker, etc. Just remember that is routine (in all regions), as these individuals have to sign off on various documents that go into Anya's court file.
Wonderful update even with the little delay in seeing Anya. New terminal? wow, that was done in a year then! We still had the "old system" last year! Hi to Tami and family!
We had our first meeting with all the officials (guardianship committee, director, psychologist, etc) at the orphanage *hours* after we arrived that first day... we talked some and then Nathan was brought in also... Can't wait to hear about your meeting!
Anxiously waiting for the next update! Sleep is definitely overratted!!
Glad ya'll are there safe and sound.
I wish I could agree about the sleep thing, but I LOVE it. My favorite thing to do! ;)
SO glad the trip went well without any glitches, or lengthy waits at the airport ;)
Aren't the new terminals/airport NICE!!! We were so impressed. In fact while waiting for Alex I asked Darren several times "are you sure we are in the right place" because the airport was so different then what I remembered from 2005.
And ditto Debbie on the meeting with the officials. We spoke and met with all the staff and then the social worker went to get V. So it was a shorter visit, but we did get to see him that first day.
We continue to pray for you constantly.
Give Alex and Andrew our regards,
Love from the Wokurka Family
So glad you're safely here! Even though it's huge disappointment to not see Anya right away, maybe you'll be more rested when you do. Maybe? And soon... Oh, SOON!
Glad you had an uneventful trip and that you didn't have to pay the overage charge in Moscow! Looking forward to updates on Anya and your reunion. Try to get some much needed rest.
I'm praying that everything goes as smoothly as the flight!! That sounds marvelous about the new terminals! Anxiously awaiting your next post.
It's like being pregnant. You can't sleep then either. Welcome to motherhood!!!
So glad to hear you made it safely!!! I am praying for you all!
Kathryn
Post a Comment