Friday, February 05, 2010

old friends, common misery


I got an email this morning from someone I came to be friends with along this adoption road.

When the world blew up in 2005, following the tragic murder of Nina Hilt, there were several families caught in the cross hairs. We were all with the same agency - searching for answers (not getting any), and genuinely feeling completely helpless. I became friends with a group of Moms - we all were fighting together. Through the years, their families have grown through the miracle of adoption (from other parts of Russia).

Some day I will post about all that happened during that time - about the heartache, the lies, the deception - the true colors of the money side of adoption. The words "convicted of adoption crimes" surfaced a lot during those years.

But that is for another day.

These girls will always hold a special place in my heart. We had plans to meet in some city for a girls spa weekend - we also talking about getting together in Chicago and going to the American Girl store with our daughters (although, one of us has boys!).

This journey has been horrible. Don't get me wrong. But I am grateful for the friendships...old and new!

I think about the day we got the news that we would be getting a court date. Some of these friends I've made over the years are the people I wanted to call first. They get it - they understand the tangle of emotions that comes with that news.

Today - I just wanted to say to all of you gals, I am grateful for YOU.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I wondered when you were leaving. I will be praying for you. Post lots of pictures for us!

Treasure your friendships. You are very fortunate to have folks to share your misery and your memories with......

Lisa said...

Amen to Becky's last paragraph!!!

stephanie said...

Paying for you all and I'm so glad we became friends and look forward to the day of re-meeting Anya. I'll never forget taking photos of her on my trip to Irkutsk in 8/2004