Today - we are completely wiped out. Couldn't quite get it together all day. I am pretty sure this is the definition of mental and physical exhaustion.
I remember talking to one of my friends about the time between court and when you physically get to GET your child. This friend described this period of waiting as torture. At the time, I thought that was a big of an exaggeration - but now that I am living it, I'll agree. TOTAL TORTURE.
Today, we went to see Anya, and as I've mentioned, we planned to bring some cake etc. for her group. We wanted to have a party celebration with what she has known as her family. We got to the orphanage, and were escorted to the room we always play in, and her group was there. I thought this was great - we would get to all play together and eat cake.
Well, almost instantly, all the kids were taken out of the room. We set out the juice, candy and cake and told the caregiver that we had brought those things for the group for a party. I specifically said 'Anya party'.
About an hour or so later, the caregiver came back and took all of the cake and candy. I assumed she was going to set things up, and come back for us.
This isn't my first ride around Mayberry. I've done this 'party for the kids' thing a few times before. I know the stick - I get how it works, and why it is important to make all the kids feel special. Generally, we're invited into the room. One child will sing a song, another will recite a poem. They will all introduce themselves to us...then we eat cake.
So - knowing this is how things go...I started picking up our things. And we waited -and waited.
Finally, I realized we weren't being invited to the party - maybe they were going to have this treat after dinner. OK - that is fine - seriously, that makes sense. Why spoil dinner time.
It was time to go, so we made our way back to the area where Anya lives. The kids were walking around with chocolate faces. Yep - they had the party without us AND Anya.
Mad? No, I wasn't mad. I was hurt. We took time to get things for ALL of the children to enjoy - and that included Anya. We wanted to spend time with her friends - see how she interacts with her friends. Make a memory for ANYA about this special occasion.
I know there will be a lot of opportunities for parties and celebrations. But not with this group of kids. My sincere hope is that after we left, all of the children were able to celebrate. That this little celebration in some way gave the other children hope, and showed them that people love them outside of those walls.
6 comments:
I am so sorry to hear this. =(
How sad for Anya!
And how frustrating.
How sad for everyone.
Kathy - One of my favorite parts of the Christmas story is where Mary pondered all those events in her heart. You and Marty will need/needed time to process and ponder.
It is sad about the party. Odd, but growing up overseas, a lot is odd at times......maybe not odd, just a different way of thinking.
Your time is drawing near when you will take her in your arms and not have to let go - until she leaves the nest. You will always be a parent. Always.
You now have new challenges. Language. Custom. Food issues. Personality clashes. You now have new memories to make - other celebrations, shopping trips, trips to favorite places. So much ahead.
Thank you for allowing me access to your blog and for allowing me to share in this special, this very special time!
You do have to wonder sometimes how the thinking goes... We were asked "do you want to pick up Nathan with his group there or not?" Well we said "yes" for many of the same reasons you listed... We pick him up and nope, not a kid in sight... NEVER saw a single one of his friends at Cheremo...
Things that make you go "hmmmm"
They are much stricter now with other children being seen. Is that part of this?
I wanted so badly to ease the transition both for Lexi and for her groupmates, to give them a chance to say goodbye. I was allowed to bring cookies to leave with the group--but not if they had chocolate on them.
I think she just disappeared. They must think it's better that way...but it sure felt worse to me.
And no pictures...I'm still riled about that one. They were her FRIENDS; all that she had. Now all she has is the few database pictures of I could find.
I'm so sorry, Kathy. That really is sad. Hang in there! It won't be the same, but, would love to have party for her when you get home. Praying everyday for you.
Post a Comment