Tuesday, February 23, 2010

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT RUSSIA – little known surprises!

Walking – that is, when I don’t have blisters all over my feet. We walk everywhere. On Sunday, we walked for about 4 hours. This isn’t something we do at all at home.

Cheese, juice, ice Cream and sour cream (to name a few) is better here. Not sure what the difference is, it’s just better.

I can look like a shumpalump and no one cares.

Anya is here.

Every day is an adventure. At home, we get into a rut of the same ‘ol same ‘ol. We never do anything different; rarely do we have the opportunity to go exploring. Here, every day is an adventure. We’re always seeing something different, something new.

Food – generally, most of the food here (at least that we eat) doesn’t have preservatives in it, so much healthier than what we eat at home.

Cookies and deserts – really, all baked goods are yummy here.

We’ve been here so many times; we’ve made friends with some locals. It’s fun to be at a restaurant downtown, and actually see someone you know! Just like would happen at home!

How warm it is inside when you've been outside walking around for 2 hours in the -10 degree weather. The freakishly hot temperature inside makes so much sense now!

Staying in a building that is over 100 years old - and wondering what it was originally.

Finding the Irkutsk version of Verandah...and having it RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER from me!

2 comments:

Nate and Brenda said...

I so agree with ALL of those things!!! We had SO much fun in Irkutsk. We even found things that Alex and Andrew did not know about!!

Debbie said...

I agree too!