So the meeting with the officials at the orphanage was basically like the one we have every trip. No big deal at all. At one point, the director asked us when we first met Anya and filed to adopt her - and of course, we said October 2004. She got the most surprised look on her face and grabbed her chest. I don't know exactly what she said, but it was translated as "very good for you to try to hard to adopt her, that is a very long time". Um ya, thanks!
We then went to Anya's room to get her - she ran (and I mean RAN) up to us yelling PAPA - MAMA! She was so excited, her little heart was beating so fast, I promise you could see the beating through her dress. She was shaking (literally) with excitement. The social worker said "well, I don't have to wonder if she knows you or if she is excited to see you!".
We then had a meeting with the social worker and lady from the adoption center to go over our paperwork for court. They asked a few questions about things they didn't understand in our dossier (like what Marty does for a living...). We also got the low-down on all the medical conditions Anya has been diagnosed with.
The lady from the adoption center is very nice. She seems to be good friends with Alex - who is our guy here(bonus!). She has met Anya's birth mother and has the whole story about her. Very interesting (will post that later).
We'll see Anya every day after school (at about 1-2pm) until dinnertime (6ish)...and then on the days when she has extra activities in the evenings, I think we will be able to see her then too.
One of the caregivers said that when it gets this cold outside (was -35f this morning) that they cancel school. So if it is this cold, we can go see her earlier in the day...but no one knew what the cut-off temp was when schools got canceled. Oh well!
13 comments:
Not as cold here in Elkhart, but we did get some decent snow.
One thing I wondered about was once you got court approval to adopt, will you be able to take Anya off 'orphanage property' with you? It appears you have your hearing next week, but then will have to stay longer for legal reasons.
That little monkey has NO idea of what is in store for her....
Awesome, so glad it went so well!
I love that she ran to you, how precious.
The new director sounds great, we never met Vlad's director.
Enjoy your visits!
I could almost feel her heart beating from here!
Getting close now.
I hope you post whenever you can, I seem to be living for your news. I am so darn excited, I just can't even believe this.
That's great that you'll be able to see her so often and for so long. Oh, how her world is going to change - I can't wait!! BTW, check your emails, I've been sending you notes-need answers.
Mom
Yahooooo! So glad you had such a joyful reunion with Anya! Praying that all continues to go well and you adjust quickly to other-side-of-the-world time.
Kirsten
Our whole family was reading your blog this morning. We are so excited for you all..I don't even have words. Praying for you..you're almost there!! Nicki
Oh what a great post! I can just "picture" it! Sitting here smiling :)
Walking around the city for hours helps adjust you to local time...but since you're in a different part of the city that's probably not as much an option (and you have the better deal as I've mentioned!) lol
Love you guys!
I think here the cut-off is -20C...or maybe -25C.
It sounds like your visit is off to a GREAT start!
So happy that meeting with the director and social worker went well. Please keep posting on your blog. I'm reading it everyday and praying for you all.
Kathy,
So glad you made it. We are sending up the prayers. I got chills reading about Anya's reaction to you. Pray hard before you post anything about her birth parents. My boys consider this information very private.
Jill
Kathy - I have to laugh about not understanding what Marty does for a living -- no one in Russia could understand what Brian did either!
Ditto on the not understanding... I was just remembering how the inspector asked what Darren did. He said he works in the Nuclear Power field... Blank stares. Okay, um... I make electricity, and pointed at the light bulbs... Nope... so we all shrugged and moved onto the next question.
I have tears in my eyes reading this post!!! Kevin and I are sooo excited for you!!! Eat good Russian food while you're there!!! I LOVED the borscht!!! We're praying for you!! We can't wait for Anya to get home!!!
Post a Comment