Tuesday, February 16, 2010

quick update

Just a quick update.

We were in court for 7 hours today. We had 2 breaks – no lunch break. The room was FREEZING, which was good because after 7 hours, we were tired!

Marty and I were in the hot seat for about 4 hours. Our fears of the prosecutor (so far) have been out-prayed (Is that even a word?). There were no hard questions, nothing difficult. A few minor miscommunications, but nothing huge at all.

Thank you all so much for praying – we felt your prayers in such a big way. God showed up – and that’s all I can say about that right now.

Everything went very well until the last 30-40 minutes of the hearing. A last minute document was added to Anya’s medical file. Apparently there were 2 different diagnoses on the same issue in October. One clinic said it was nothing – the other said it was something.

This caused a fairly big to-do in court. Bottom line – Anya will be seen by a court appointed doctor tomorrow morning to make a final determination on this issue. This document will clarify the others that were not clear and contradicted each other.

Until this document came up, everyone in court thought we would be able to get a judgment. In today’s court cases in Irkutsk, a 1-day adoption hearing in unheard of.

We will reconvene at 3pm tomorrow (which is 2am Tuesday night/morning EST). Again, this is unheard of. Alex said that generally the second day of court is at least 3-4 days later, generally 1 week later. To have the continuance the next day –at 3pm says that the judgment will be handed down tomorrow.

Of course this is all speculation at this point.

I just wanted to post some general info on today. We are exhausted, were hungry (thanks Tami for feeding us!!) and mentally done for the day.

more tomorrow.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been one long marathon race.....Your almost to the finish line. Hang in there and continued prayers are coming your way! Soon you'll be with Anya forever.

Lisa said...

Okie dokie... just so you know, NONE of us back in the US will be able to sleep through the night.

I'm sure tomorrow will (the hearing part) go quickly and then, oh! the rejoicing! you will be finished!

Lisa Betsinger Wojtkowiak said...

I love you and will be praying!!

kate said...

This is EXCELLENT news!

I just knew that the prosecutor wouldn't be a problem. ;>

Let's all sing Les Miz...
One day more!

Fran said...

Wow, I'm so happy for you. Your 'labor' is almost finished!! Hang in there, it's almost over. I can't wait-

Debbie said...

I "speculated" that same thing to Brian this morning -- Reconvene at 3pm??? And the NEXT DAY?? It is God at work!!!

(I had a feeling it would have been something with Anya's file that caused the delay bc anything with yours would have caused the longer delay)

Isn't feeling the prayers just the most awesome thing in the world? I still tear up thinking about it.

Wearing my Siberian jewel (that purple one) earrings again today and continuing the prayers...

Becky said...

SO thankful that God appears to be saying, 'yes' I will give you the desires of your heart. I have been praying and this will be a wonderful praise.....

v and K said...

3pm tomorrow is good! We'll continue praying for everyone involved to have favor with the judge and prosecutor so they will wrap this puppy up tomorrow! We all know all too well that, with Irkutsk, it's never over til it's over... but you're very, very close!!!

Kirsten

stephanie said...

My prayers are with you all!!! Please post again as soon as you get out of the next hearing!!

JulieNicholas said...

Praying, Kathy!!!

Vanessa, Flourish Boutique said...

Thanks for the update Kathy! We love you all and are thinking about you continually, offering up prayers whenever you guys come to mind (which is like every 10 minutes!!!). I pray for God's continued blessings, protection, guidance, and love.

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

Sooooo close!
Yeah!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Praying, praying, praying for you!!! Whenever I really need to remember to pray for somebody, I tell myself to pray every time I look down at my bracelet. This helps me remember to pray for the person throughout the day and not just at bedtime. Praying for you every time I look at my bracelet:)

Nicki said...

Soooo close, sooo excited! Our whole family is praying for you! Can't wait...

Unknown said...

Wow...almost at the finish line! So excited and still praying. Love you guys! God is soooo good.

Bart, Kim & the girls

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it's something minor and that you have another court date so quickly! Still praying! Can't wait to check update in morning!