Today's sport event at Anya's orphanage reminded me of Olympic Day when I went to Stanley Clark. Lots of silly events. The whole school was divided into teams, and the winning group got a cake, box of chocolate and a vacuum sweeper (no, I'm not kidding).
Anya did very well. She jumped right in with all the boys to play when we first got the gym. She was the first in line when her team was ready to compete in a given event. And she did very very well at the crazy events!
The events were things like: hockey stick and tennis ball...move it around the cones and into a goal. Then there was the skis that had space for 4 people, and the 4 people had to work together to scoot from one side of the gym to the other (kinda like a fancy 3-legged race). The last event was an obstacle course. The kids had to do a somersault, then scoot through this tunnel, throw a dart at a target, run back to an 'a' frame wall, climb up the wall, jump down and tag the next guy in line. Many of the event would NEVER take place in the U.S.! One event for the older kids involved shooting something at balloons and popping them. As in, with a gun.
One little boy came up to me - I recognized him. He has been in Anya' group since she was at BH#2 in Irkutsk. His name is Alousha. He came up and said "you are Anya's mama! Hello!" I couldn't remember his name, so I said "your name is Sasha?" He got the funniest look on his face and said "oh no mama, I am Alousha!"
Photos coming soon - the internet speed I am connecting with right now won't allow me to upload anything.
1 comment:
Oh, I know you wanted to bring little Alosha home, too.
Thanks for the commentary! That's all the Olympics I'll get this year.
Post a Comment