Friday, February 26, 2010

inflation

If something was $40 a year ago, what would you think a reasonable price would be this year?

$45, maybe $50?

How about $72?

We hired a driver today to go see Anya in the Olympics that her orphanage put on. Last year, each trip to see her was $40 - so I assumed it would be about the same this year. Yes, I was WRONG! Today's fare was $72 (or about 2200 Rubles).

Although it was the most expensive cab ride I have ever had in my life, it was worth it. So neat to see Anya with all of the kids in the orphanage, and watch her compete in the various events.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

oh my goodness...I don't even want to think what our taxi rides would be! Think of what you're saving on gas tho by walking everywhere in the city :)

Lisa said...

Interesting... ours was the anticipated amount-which was steep enough. Roughly $250 or so... I'm terrible at the conversions.

How special to get to see Anya participate in that! Did you get to take pictures and Video?

kate said...

Inflation is killer. KILLER.

In what events did Anya compete? Was it an interesting day? ;> I do think it would be. I've tried to go and see my 3.10 girls competing to city-wide events in St. P, but can't finagle an invite.(Since I'm not allowed in the orphanage at all, technically, it's hard to find a reason to let me go to a big event. In-orphanage events are graciously opened to me.)

So--what was it like? More words! More pictures! (You know these are your last fully-thought-out and leisurely typed blogs--HOORAY--so let's hear all about it. ;>

kate said...

Is she competitive?