I don’t know where to start.
Our day started out with us getting things ready to go and pick up Anya. I put all the gifts for people at the orphanage in a bag, got her outfit folded up and put in the bag; planned what we were going to have dinner. We knew that we wouldn’t be going to get her until later afternoon, so we decided to go out with Steve and Tami Jackson shopping. We had some things that we needed from the grocery store etc.
So out we went. We get though the first aisle at the grocery store, and the cell phone rings. It was Alex. Apparently the officials in the city will not let us get Anya until the 10 days are up. In other words, we can’t get Anya today, and won’t be able to get her until who knows when.
Disappointed doesn’t even begin to cover what I am feeling over all of this. Honestly, I don’t want to talk about it or think about it at all.

I should have known better. I am not new to this adoption thing, this RUSSIAN adoption thing and even more specifically – this IRKUTSK adoption thing. I know that there are no set rules, no set norms. When something is supposed to take 3 days it will take 7. I also know that there is nothing you can do about this, so stewing over it will only cause intestinal issues, and not solve anything.
My issue with all of this is mine. I am OK with waiting things out, with the unknown. For the last 5 years, I have been relatively OK with everything because I had no expectation and became cynical about every step of the process. If we would hear that the Judge would accept a meeting with our coordinator on a given day, and our coordinator was going to ask for a court date – I would assume the meeting wouldn’t take place. Which it didn’t – many many times.
I have been OK with going to visit Anya in the various orphanages she has been in. I was even kinda OK with leaving her there. There was nothing I could do to change the current situation, so I made a choice. Either I could be OK or stew.
After court, I was OK with going to see Anya at the horrible orphanage, but only because I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Things started bothering me more and more; like the smell of the room we have to play in, and the filth of everything you sit on, and the grime under Anya’s fingernails. All of this was ok, because the end was near.
It’s mental gymnastics really.
So I set myself up. I should have known that it was all too good to be true. Now I am mad, frustrated, have a bad attitude and want to march down to those so-called officials and give them a piece of my mind.
But I won’t. I’ll just sit here in this tiny apartment that we’re paying way too much money a day for. We’ll go back to see Anya tomorrow for the first time since LAST Friday. We will assume that weekends and holidays don’t count in the 10 day count down.
…and did you know that the 10 days is up to the Judge? Yep! It is up to her if she wants to count holidays or weekends, because she is the one who has to sign the official document on the 10 days following court!
18 comments:
I'm holding you right now! I love you and wish I could help so sending a hug a million miles to you is all I can do.
Sending you big hugs. We went through the same feelings with Nikolas. We didn't even have to wait the 10 days but the orphanage decided because he had a little sniffle we could not have him until they figured he was ready. We were supposed to get him on his first birthday. We had a breakdown too. Keep reminding yourself that God's timing is perfect. Hard to hear when you are in the middle of it but still very true. Praying for you and Anya as you are waiting again.
Wow. Praying for you throughout the day.
As Brenda posted -- when you're in the middle of it it's harder to remind yourself "God's timing, not mine"...
I hope you get lots of comments on this - supportive, funny, sad along with you... as it does help *so much* to know you're not really alone in this all.
Remember back to our wait? I stocked up on groceries too and then had an extra 5-days to wait... but I KNOW you won't, we want to hold that record for longest stay in that tiny overpriced apartment!
Go out and walk and walk - find all the kids clothing stores, find the cafes we liked and try to distract yourself. The Russian MTV channel was always mind-numbing for us (oh yah, Brian has something for you to watch for on that channel to see if it's still on...we'll chat later) :)
This verse from Acts helped me alot during our process:
Acts 17:26b - And he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live...
Hugging you across the miles and praying God give you peace of mind...
Praying for you always.
Oh my! Typical Russia, as you so well put it. Hugging you from Indiana. Wish there was something that I could do or say to make it better. After 5 1/2 years, a few more days is all right. You'll get thru this. Love you all.
Kathy - posting to YOU what you posted to ME when I had this exact same thing... I'm holding you to the shoe promise!!
---------------------------------
I don't know what more I can say to you, my friend - so I'll reiterate that it stinks (ok, it sucks - that is stronger than stink - haha!).
I SO UNDERSTAND what you must be feeling. I too need to know what to expect - if I have an idea of what is going on, I am fine...that is why we chose Irkutsk! Since we have several friends who adopted from there, I had seen the photos, heard the stories...
This too shall pass, and one day we'll be in Chicago at one of the museums with our kids laughing about all this...then we'll get depressed and shoe shop!
---------------------------------
Oh I am so sorry that I am crying for you. Sending you HUGE hugs.
I'm so sorry, sending hugs and prayers to you!
I'm so sorry, Kathy. Even when we "should know better" and we put up our defenses, expect the worst, and psych ourselves up for any and all disappointment... somehow Irkutsk ALWAYS ends up throwing you that one curve ball you weren't emotionally prepared for! Then you renew your resolve and swear you won't give them the satisfaction of crushing you again...
Today is a crappy, awful day, made for wallowing, Nutella and stupid TV. Tomorrow you'll take a deep breath, "set your face like a flint", and just keep doing what you have to do until your precious daughter is OFFICIALLY officially yours. Sigh...
Praying (and eating Nutella) for you,
Kirsten
WHAT? You need me to fly over there to help you "take care of business?" All I can say Kathy is that you are one STRONG lady!!! So sad for you and Marty. My heart aches for you both so I'm sending you hugs and the strength to get through this very difficult time. Keeping you in prayers too.
I'm so sorry-I am truly feeling your heartache. It just dumbfounds me that you are now Anya's parents, yet they still won't let her leave the orphanage. I hope Anya is able to understand and grasp somewhat what is happening-as well as a little child can-and not think it is by choice that you can't see her. Prayers for you guys!
Be encouraged... the end IS still in sight!
Hope hurts. But without hope...
I understand completely. COMPLETELY! My pick-up day was only delayed by a day, but that one day made me so frustrated. I didn't trust that Lexi was well taken care of, and, once she was mine on paper, I wanted her OUT. Until then, I didn't have the same desperation.
I thought that the day we went to court was the day we'd celebrate. But, really, nothing changed that day. We'll celebrate the day we started being together--12 days later. (In Moscow Saturdays count but Sundays don't.)
Soon and very soon, Mama.
Reading the heartache in your post breaks my heart for all three of you. Please know you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I still have my Anya necklase on and hold on and pray several times a day for you. The end is so close my friend. I promise. He wont bring you this far to leave you.
She is yours and always will be.
I am so so sorry for the delays, Kathy & Marty! We still continue to think and pray for you. Love you!!
Keep your faith, no matter what. That was the best advice someone gave to me on our adoption journey. YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS!!! And soon you'll be home in Indiana and have all of this stuff behind you!!! Love to you!!!
I've been thinking about you all day, Kathy! I haven't been able to check the blog because of computer issues, but I am catching myself up tonight! I will continue praying!!
Post a Comment