Sunday, September 16, 2007

piggy-backing on previous post..

To take the previous post (news story called 'Does She Cry in Korean?"...I found this website http://www.adoptlink.com/language.htm. I feel compelled with the strength of pre-adoptive-parents, AND post-adoption-parents everywhere to share this enlightening information.

It is funny the things people say to you when you are part of an adopted-family. Things people would never say to someone who was pregnant - or who had birthed a child. The good-intentioned comments can be naive, and quite honestly, cold-hearted.

In the 3 years we've been on this journey, we've had some amazing things said to us. Most aren't mean-spirited, many made me take a step back and say "huh"? Here are some examples:

"When are you going to look in the mirror and admit that this adoption might not happen"?

"Why in the world would you want to start another family again at YOUR age?"

"Are you SURE you want to do this?"

"It seems you are just throwing away good money after bad"

and my favorite:

"Why would you want to go to Irkutsk, don't you know that the devil lives and breathes there?" ...that one was too much. Anyone that knows anything about being a Christian knows that anywhere the devil is - so is Christ. So, yes, that is EXACTLY where I want to be!!!! And, to take that a step further - If the devil was 'living and breathing' there...why would I want to leave my daughter there?

Something that is said to us all the time, is "so-and-so adopted from Russia, and it only took them less than a year. You should call them". I completely understand the logic and helpful spirit that is behind this kind of comment. And, for a long time - I hunted down and talked to TONS of these families. I quickly found that was a complete waste of time.

This is why. Each region in Russia operates independently. Basically, it's like each region (state) is a different country. Unless the family who has adopted did so in Irkutsk - there is nothing that they can say, and no information they can provide, that will be helpful to us. Unless (of course) they know someone in power in Russia, who might be connected to either the Chief Judge in Irkutsk or the Governor in Irkutsk.

Adoption isn't for everyone. Likewise, birthing a child isn't for everyone! I know there are tons of people out there who don't understand why we're still fighting, and I know that there are even those out there who don't support our fight. So be it. To the naysayers - I say this...UNTIL YOU'VE WALKED A MILE IN MY 3" STILETTOS, KEEP YOUR COMMENTS AND ATTITUDE TO YOURSELF.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just have to say a big Amen!!!!! Great Post Kathy!!

Unknown said...

And - if ANYONE would know about adoption, being an adoptive parent, or international adoption - it would be Brenda!