There are a few things about Russia that I can not understand. I’ve been here 4 times, each visit, I stay at least 7 days…and I still can not figure out why texi drivers and clerks at stores (specifically at grocery stores) get peeved when you don’t have the exact change. It makes no sense!
I also don’t understand the driving here. It is like one of those crazy video games – in real life. It is unusual to be here for any length of time and not see a fatal accident. Which brings me to another oddity of Russia. When there is a bad accident – no one seems too excited about it. We saw one (again) today, there looked to be a dead guy in one of the cars…and no one was really doing anything. A few people standing around and a police officer measuring something on the road. Odd.
Wearing the same outfit for days on end. Maybe it is because of what I do for a living, but I don’t get it. Apparently, Russians wash out their clothes at night, and wear the same thing the next day.
Beer…everywhere beer. Not vodka – beer. Beer in the hands of everyone on the streets; kids, grandmothers, amputees, men, well dressed women. Everyone!
The inequality of good looking people. As I mentioned in another post – there are a lot of beautiful women here. Even those girls who are ‘ok’ have striking features. Men – not so much. I think I’ve only seen maybe 3-4 good looking men.
Fish for breakfast. I know that this is a ‘thing’ at home too (I watch Martha Stewart – and yes, I know she has salmon every morning). But common – yuck! A little fish with your corn flakes!?
Why are there SO MANY ½ built buildings all over the place…but a ton of new construction going on?
And I really do not understand how I got SO MANY mosquito bites all over my arms and hands! UGH!
I do understand feeding children tea, pushing and shoving instead of orderly lines (to get on an airplane, pay for something, walk through a door…), and how ridiculously hot it is in the mall. The bottom line? There’s no place like home!
No comments:
Post a Comment