Sunday, September 02, 2007

TRAVELING

Our travels started off on an odd foot. “What is an odd foot” you ask? Great Question! That is the annoying foot you didn’t know you had, that you found out you had at a very inopportune time.

Anyway – we got to the SB airport early to meet with an acquaintance that is from Russia. We got there at 9am to talk about our plan to meet with the officials in Irkutsk. Somehow, we got our wires crossed, and our friend never made it to the airport. Our flight didn’t take off until 12:45 – so essentially, we were there 3 ½ hours early.

Our flight into Atlanta was slightly late. There is only 1 flight a day to Moscow, so we couldn’t miss it. Because of the delay, we only had 25 minutes to make it from one gate to the next. I don’t think we’ve ever walked so fast!

After a 9 ½ hour flight – we made it to Moscow. And, so did our luggage!

If you know me very well, you know that I have a few hot buttons. Things that always make me mad (or tick me off as my husband would say…I tend to get a little more than just mad). One of these things is having all my “stuff” with me (i.e. the stuff you can’t live without, your slippers – soap, stuff you pack that you would be really upset if it was lost); and the other thing is the baggage weight system with airlines.

It seems there is no consistency with this process. And that makes me mad. I don’t mind paying extra if my baggage is over weight – just tell me what the weight restriction is, or tell me what the fee is – BEFORE I GET TO THE AIRPORT!

I weight balance our luggage every time we fly. I know to the ounce how much everything weighs. I’ve even been known to write down what is in each bag, so when I repack to come home – I will know how much the bags weigh.

I figured out the system flying in the U.S. We only fly Delta, so it helps to know the system for one airline.

Well, then we started flying to Russia.

3 years ago, our bags were heavy. Probably nearly 60 lbs. We were charged $100 for overweight baggage. On the return flight, we were not charged.

2 years ago, I was charged $100 because apparently you are only allowed to check 1 bag between Moscow and Irkutsk.

Last year, we weren’t charged anything on the outbound, however when we were leaving, the lady in Irkutsk at the airport wouldn’t let us get our boarding pass until we paid $125. We didn’t have any cash left from the trip, and they wouldn’t take a credit card. That was a mess! We found an ATM, and figured it out…but I was ON THE EDGE!

This year – I very carefully read all of the rules about baggage on Aeroflot (the Russian airline). I talked with our travel agent to verify what I found on the website. The website clearly says (and yes, this is a quote from the website) “You can check-in 2 places on 23 kg each. Photo camera, portable PC, umbrella are items of carry-on and do not pass through check weigh.” When we checked in, they said we were only allowed 20kg.

We had 2 bags total, One weighed 43lbs (19.5kg), and the other 52lbs (23kg). The woman at the Aeroflot counter in Moscow would not allow us to boarding passes unless we paid a fee for our baggage. The fee was equal to $250! Yes, this is extortion at its finest! I was so mad; I had to walk away from the counter. I really thought I was going to lose it!

So, we got to Irkutsk, and were met at the airport by a friendly face. Our friend who picked us up from the airport was also picking up a lady from Paris who is adopting a child from Angrask (and I know I spelled that wrong). Her flight was also late, and she didn’t have time to claim her baggage in Moscow. Her luggage didn’t make it to Irkutsk – and she is going to court on Monday! Of course, I offered to loan her any clothing that she might need (even though I packed lightly – I have enough to pull together a court-appropriate outfit if necessary).

So – the moral of the story is this. Stop getting all worked up – things could be worse!

No comments: