Thursday, September 06, 2007

Document update

Before we head to the Detski Dom today, I thought I would post a quick update on our paperwork.

The statement from the Judge was interesting. The main problems she has with our documents is our Indiana State apostille. I did work with the State Department to have them change it, however, apparently it is not a PERFECT square (something that you could only find if you measured it with a ruler...by eyeballing it, it looks like a square). She is also saying that the way the apostille is attached to the document isn't legit. Whatever that means.

We will need to find the Russian version of the Hague detailing the 2003 (I think) update/revisions. We just need to show her that the things she is asking for are not the law.

Other changes are minor. Nothing we can't take care of swiftly. We have until September 25th to comply. Our lawyer said that typically, families do not comply with every change detailed in the Judge's first statement. Some of the things the Judge asked for in the statement, she was provided - which means that our lawyer needs to go back to her to show that we did provide that. Once the lawyer and Judge agree - the legal statement is revised, deleting that point.

This morning I will need to get a hold of our friends in Moscow to help us redo some medical forms, and to redo a letter from the Embassy. The Embassy provided us with a standard letter that is used throughout Russia...but of course, this letter isn't good enough for the Judge.

Like I said, the changes are minor - and a matter of "majoring in minors". The most concerning thing I can see is the apostille. Gathering all 125 documents last time for our dossier about sent me over the edge. I can't imagine having to do that again. I will...but the thought of it makes me want to curl up in a corner and hide.

Please pray that we can quickly find the information on the Hague in Russian. I have a weblinnk - however it is in English. If anyone out there has a link - please forward it to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that prayers are still coming from TX! I love your updates and the pictures of both of you with Anya melt my heart. I look forward to the day you are legally a family.
Judy