I feel like I have been doing a lot of Russia-bashing recently. I kind of feel bad about that - because there are things about Irkutsk I really like. So, in the interest of 'fair reporting', I thought I would post a list of those things I do like and miss about Irkutsk:
1. Anya (duh)
2. the water - I don't know what it is about the water, but it does wonders for your skin and hair
3. Anya (double duh)
4. Walking. We figured that we walked about 5-6 miles a day - which is why on day 1, my feet hurt so bad! But thanks to the Adidas store in downtown Irkutsk, from that point on - I had happy feet!
5. OK, the Adidas store!
6. Since we're on shopping (something that I consider myself an expert at)...boots and shoes. Irkutsk has the greatest shoes - and there are more shoe stores there than anyone could ever visit during one trip. I will say that the 2 boots I got on this trip are some of my favorite (leather, hand crafted for about $35 each!)
7. Another shopping note - fur. This is the place to get a fur. I figure the last time I go there, I will splurge and get a fur...maybe a mink? Or red fox?
8. Anya
9. Simplicity. Everything seems so simple there. Our lives are so busy, and filled with junk. THere isn't time or space for junk when we are in Irkutsk. Everything is very simple. And, we get by nicely (without all of our electronics, gadgets and comforts of home).
10. The people watching. Not only the beautiful Russian women, but in general.
11. Anya (gotta throw that one in again)
12. Bread and Cheese - since that is about the only thing I eat there - I will say they have great bread and cheese.
13. Speaking of food...Fiesta (the restaurant on the walking street that is kind of like a Russian version of Panera) and the new buffet on the corner of Karl Marx and the walking street (best potatoe pancakes I've ever had!)
14. The friends and people we've met in Irktusk and Moscow. Everyone that we're working with (and have worked with) are genuinely great people. Although they don't always appreciate our American sence of humor - we love them all for all they've done for us.
15. Finally...Anya. I miss her laugh, her smile, her inquisitiveness, her mimicking everything I say and do, her hugs, the sparkle in her eyes. I miss her asking me every day if I got her some sunglasses to wear.
I think once we get Anya home, we will still remember Irkutsk with fond memories...traveling there is another story - but being there is always nice. When we were in Moscow - someone said something to me that was interesting. He said, "In Russia, it is very hard to get here, and very hard to leave. It does not make sence, even to me - one who is Russian".
...and I think that is a great way to end this post!
1 comment:
Hi Kathy, I couldn't sleep tonight since I have been in bed, sleeping for 3 days with some kind of bronchial virus. so I get up and log onto my cpu and what do I find but a wonderful news from my dear friend Kathy. So I linked to your blog and love your post (especially the repeating Anya's.) It brings back great memories of Irkutsk-the good things about Irkutsk I so totally agree with you (even if I haven't met the wonderful, beautiful Anya, we will keep her up there at the top of my list.And that leaves....#2 I love the water there, it is so soft-even the time they cut the hot water off in the summer so we had to take baths in water from the icy depths of Lake Baikal, I swear my feet were blue and my husband decided to do it the Army 5 minute bath with a wash cloth. #4-I don't know if I have ever walked so much as we did Russia and such a great way to lose weight; but I didn't see #5 the Adidas store, I must find it if we make it back. #6 I need a new pair of boots. My favorite store was the Lush store, we don't have one in Jax so I have to buy mine on e-bay.
#7 OOOOH! the beautiful furs, I have never seen any like them; my husband, the grounded person in our family was quick to point out that I would not have much use for a full length fur in Florida. I was think I could just sleep under it during those really cold 40 -50 degree nights we get here. But what I really would like is a picture of him in one of the fur hats.
#9, yes the simplicity, no cell phones constantly ringing, or the boom boom boom of some teenagers care, getting on a trolley just to ride without a care in the world as to where we ended up. No noisy TV since we couldn't understand the language. The beautiful flowers for sale on the side of the streets. #12 and 13 , we love the food, especially at the snowflake restaurant, I hope it is still there, sch wonderful pork dishes. And shopping in the markets near Karl Marx street, what a place to see and buy food. No Wendy's burgers in this town-but it is the first fast food place I went to whne we got home. #14 we met such wonderful dear people that we will never forget.
and there's always Anya, we can't wait until she is home!
Thank you for sharing
Wanda
Post a Comment