
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Jackson family yesterday. They are from Illinois – and have been living here in Irkutsk for 8 years. They have 3 beautiful children (who I just wanted to scoop up!), and a great home near the airport. The kids are 12, 9 and 4 (I hope I have remembered that right).
I am horrible with remembering names (Tami, if this is was off base, let me know):
Ashley – the 12 year old, is a very grown up, smart little girl. Loves horses.
Andrew – 9 year old – pretty sure he is going to be an engineer
Melissa – 4 year old, loves Disney princesses, singing. Adorable! (Michelle - Belle and Melissa would have so much fun playing together!)
Steve and came to pick me up around 11 yesterday morning. They took me to their home, where Tami and the girls met me at the door. Ya know, I don’t know what it is about seeing a friendly smile and hearing English – but it was just what I needed!
The kids eagerly showed me their home and things they got for Christmas. We had lunch, then Tami and I talked for hours! She is so sweet! I wish all of you could meet her – to those in my Panera Bible Study – you’d LOVE her! It was great to ruminate about all the distinctively Russian things that we Americans don’t get. Things like:
I am horrible with remembering names (Tami, if this is was off base, let me know):
Ashley – the 12 year old, is a very grown up, smart little girl. Loves horses.
Andrew – 9 year old – pretty sure he is going to be an engineer
Melissa – 4 year old, loves Disney princesses, singing. Adorable! (Michelle - Belle and Melissa would have so much fun playing together!)
Steve and came to pick me up around 11 yesterday morning. They took me to their home, where Tami and the girls met me at the door. Ya know, I don’t know what it is about seeing a friendly smile and hearing English – but it was just what I needed!
The kids eagerly showed me their home and things they got for Christmas. We had lunch, then Tami and I talked for hours! She is so sweet! I wish all of you could meet her – to those in my Panera Bible Study – you’d LOVE her! It was great to ruminate about all the distinctively Russian things that we Americans don’t get. Things like:
- Needing the exact change to purchase something
- The notion of what ‘matches’ in outfits here
- How Russian people eat
- The things that is the norm for children
- What we think are crazy medical cures
- The Russian need for fresh air – especially for kids – regardless of the temperature (did you know that it isn’t uncommon for babies to be set out on porches to take naps? Bundled up in a million blankets – but outside nonetheless.)
I am glad to know that the things that have always made me raise an eyebrow and say ‘huh?’ are things all Americans question.
And I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of them! I had my camera, and just forgot.
To other PAPs – the Jackson family would love to meet all of you, and help you in any way they can when you are here. They have graciously offered to open their home if you need a place to stay – or offer any assistance you might need. They are truly the nicest most welcoming people ever! They helped me exchange some money (kind of traded Steve American dollars for rubles), and Steve gave me a longer phone cord (don’t know if I mentioned, but the phone cord is about 1ft. long – and the phone jack is by the front door in the boot room of the apartment. So, to be online I have been sitting on the floor- the longer cord is super helpful – now I can sit in a chair and be online – yahooey!).
Heading to see Anya this a.m., and then hopefully go downtown to get some shopping done for the party. I hope Julia will be able to go with me and help – if for no other reason, than to help me carry stuff – that would be awesome! I don’t think I am going to be able to do the party today – I will need a little time to prepare everything – so tomorrow. Going to have Julia get all the permissions today for that.
To other PAPs – the Jackson family would love to meet all of you, and help you in any way they can when you are here. They have graciously offered to open their home if you need a place to stay – or offer any assistance you might need. They are truly the nicest most welcoming people ever! They helped me exchange some money (kind of traded Steve American dollars for rubles), and Steve gave me a longer phone cord (don’t know if I mentioned, but the phone cord is about 1ft. long – and the phone jack is by the front door in the boot room of the apartment. So, to be online I have been sitting on the floor- the longer cord is super helpful – now I can sit in a chair and be online – yahooey!).
Heading to see Anya this a.m., and then hopefully go downtown to get some shopping done for the party. I hope Julia will be able to go with me and help – if for no other reason, than to help me carry stuff – that would be awesome! I don’t think I am going to be able to do the party today – I will need a little time to prepare everything – so tomorrow. Going to have Julia get all the permissions today for that.
I'm working on about hour 5 of my 100 minute prepaid internet access card. Don't you love the small blessings in life?
Happy New Year!
Happy New Year!
2 comments:
Just sat and caught up on your trip - I have been thinking how hard it is to be home with my 2 kids while Don is in India - but your story touches my heart and through my tears God showed me a thing or 2 thru you, Marty and Anya this morning. I will pray for your family!
Happy New Year -- it sounds like a great time!
Post a Comment