Sunday, May 21, 2006

a typical day in Russia

We were out all day - walking from one shopping area, to downtown, to a cafe, then a market and home again. We were gone walking about 5-6 hours.

Our day ended later in the day, about 7pm - when we started seeing the things we only hear about in Russia...children begging in the streets, a drunk passed out in front of a concert hall, old men with very young girls, a homeless man picking through a garbage can - I guess looking for someting to eat...and the icing on the cake, an elderly couple - that had been (obviously) drinking all day, weaving when they walked, hooting and hollering...then, ducking behind a building. We observed this interaction from our apartment window - so we were not in any danger... I was very curious what they were doing, so I got comfortable and continued to watch...the older lady leaned up against the building, hiked up her babushka dress, and yes, started to pee! Right there, in front of everyone...no shame, no reservation...just peeing. Then, the old man apparently decided that was a good idea....then next thing we know - he's is taking a leak too! No one but us even paid them a second look. When they were done, the both took swigs from a bottle, hugged each other - and they went on their merry way.

The morale to the story? Siberia is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here!

No comments: