Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Our visit with Anya and the new director- Tuesday

We had a meeting today with the director at Anya’s orphanage. She is very very nice - her name is Elana. She said that she used to work at BH2 where Anya was before moving to Shelekov. She was there for 2 years when Anya was there (so, from the time Anya was 8 months old until she was 2 years and 8 months). She new of us, and had heard many things about us…which struck me as odd since there are so many families that come through those doors, and we had not met her in the past. Anyway – she said that Anya was still adjusting to being at Shelekov, but she is little, and she will be fine. She said that Anya is a very good little girl (as if?!?!). She said that she has read our complete file from the Adoption Center (meaning she has read through our dossier etc.), and from knowing about us, our home and our family, we are the perfect place for Anya.

Elana also told us that Anya talks about us all the time…which I think is amazing since I’ve not been here for a year, and Marty hadn’t seen her for a year and ½! When Anya first moved to Shelekov, she was meeting with the orphanage psychologist (also, a VERY nice woman named Shetlana), and Anya insisted on showing her the photo book of us. Anya went through every page with Shetlana, explaining in every photo that was Mama, Papa and Anya. She also informed Svetlana “Mama and Papa love me very much!” Very true, and how wonderful that she knows that, even if she doesn’t understand it, the fact that she knows we love her, and that means something special is so powerful!

When we arrive at our visits with Anya, she is always sad-faced. This goes back to October 2004 to our first visit with her. I was told today that this is an act because when she leaves her group, she exclaims “I must go and plan with Mama and Papa now – bye bye!”…kind of a 3 year old’s way of saying ‘see ya later bums, my mama and papa are here!”

When Anya returned to her group (the sheep group) on Saturday, she told the other children tale after tale of our visit with her.

We were allowed to visit with her 2x today…and Elana said that she gave us permission to visit from 10am until lunchtime, and then from 4pm until 6 (dinner). She said that each time we visit, it is documented in Anya’s permanent record – with notes of how we are playing with her and how our communication is with her. All the times we’ve sent clothes, notes, photos etc. to her has been documented – and will look very good to the Judge.

At our afternoon visit, we were allowed to play outside. It was FREEZING cold here today. But, it was fun to be outside. Anya had a lot of fun going down the slide, and kept saying, “one more time Papa, please”, and then when she would get to the ladder, she would say “I can do it by myself!” Well, that lasted until she realized she couldn’t get her foot up to the first rung of the ladder…which would bring on “Papa, help please!” This went on for probably 10-15 times!

Elana came outside to tell us that it was dinnertime, and Anya had to go to her group. Anya asked frequently to go with her group when we are together, but never pushes it – I think she hears the other kids in the hall, and thinks she is missing out on something. Anyway – when Elana said that, Anya stopped dead in her tracks and said “no, I want to stay and play with Mama and Papa!”. She then told Elana, “I love playing with Mama and Papa.” We went on talking, and then Anya blurted out “I love Papa the best” – so yes, it’s true, I am still just the lady with the cookies and shoes!
When we were leaving, Anya hugged and kissed both of us bye bye, and asked us to come back tomorrow. As she was walking back inside, we said, “I love you Anya!” She yelled back “I love you too Mama and Papa!”

No comments: