For those of you who really know me, you will appreciate our day today.
We wake up to find that all the hot water is gone. Nothing, not even water pressure when you turn the faucets to hot. Well, one might ask, “how do you shower” – I’ll tell you. You need to heat up water in a teapot and in a regular pot on the stove. Then you pour it into a bucket, being careful not to splash your self with the scalding hot water. You ten transfer the bucket into the bathtub, and cool it with the freezing arctic water. Don’t forget your Plastic Moose cup to rinse with! Just like the Pioneers used to do!
In researching what the deal was with the water, we found out that all the hot water in the city is gone…no one has hot water. Apparently there is only 1 main line into Everyone’s home for hot water. Isn’t that nutty?!
So then we go to lunch. For those of you who were on this journey with us the first time, you know we got a big kick out of the “American” menus in restaurants. The translation wasn’t always so accurate, so what you actually got wasn’t usually what you thought you ordered.
So – we go to this new restaurant for lunch – it was called ‘Figgaro’ – basically a pasta and pizza joint. It is near the new European hotel, and boasts that they get a lot of international visitors…which is good because that means they have American menus. So I order what I thought was a small pizza with mushrooms, tomato and olive. Guess what I got? A small pizza with mushrooms, tomato, ham, bacon, sausage and peppers. You all know that I don’t eat meat, and if I do I will get very very sick – and am very freaky about meat touching the food I do eat. So – I am in a foreign country, can’t really send back what I ordered, need to eat something…what is a girl to do? She scrapes off all the topping (and I do mean ALL the topping) and just eats the crust!
2 days ago, it was nearly 80 degrees outside here – today, it snowed (kind of like at home! If you don’t like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change). I battled with what to pack for clothing, not knowing what the weather was going to be like. I errored on the side of the weather channel’s report that the low this week was going to be 50. So, what is a girl to do to stay warm? She wears her CAbi spa yoga pants with full length Spanx underneath for insulation (Spanx are a new now and wow term for girdle)…Toasty!
And the final great part of my day…when we got back to the orphanage this afternoon, I really needed to find the ‘ladies room’. Typically, I avoid public restrooms – especially in foreign countries. But – this was an emergency. Get this – there is no toilet seat…and they wipe with cut up pieces of scrap paper…like the kind we would cut up into squares for notes – left over paper from a printing job. The paper all had some kind of printing on it – like old reports they needed to shred, instead of shredding it became TP! Let me just tell you, that regular paper isn’t very absorbent!

No comments:
Post a Comment