Wednesday, December 31, 2008

THE PLIGHT OF THE INTERNET CARD

I came to Russia with 5 internet cards. To get online here, you go the old fashion route – plug in your telephone into your laptop, use the codes on the back of a little card you purchase from a magazine stand…and wonder how many minutes you are really going to get.

For some reason, 4 of the 5 aren’t working…most were new. I ventured out this afternoon to find more cards (need to make sure I have enough to get through the next few days). Walked for 15 minutes down one street, nothing. Decided to stop at the market (got some Nutella! Judy – I am going to try to smuggle it home). Noticed some shopping areas next to my apartment…and lo, there was a magazine stand RIGHT NEXT DOOR (the opposite direction I had been searching!). Walked up to the stand…practicing what I was going to say in my head (I can purchase things like nobody’s business here!)…and the grumpy-needed some coffee or chocolate-mad at the world woman at the counter decided to close at the exact moment I walked up to her window. I pleaded with her – and all she said was ‘neit!’…meany!

Thankfully, Andre (my driver) helped me. He doesn’t speak (much) English – but we figured it out. He even pulled over at one point, got out of the car – ran from stand to stand until he found one for me. What other driver would do this?

No comments: