Monday
First – HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATHY!! (it is one of my friend’s BDays)
To the Orts – my heart is with you today. I am thinking about you, and praying for God’s Grace and Peace to come over you all this week. Sending you all a HUGE HUG from Russia!
TRAVEL AND THE APARTMENT
Got to Irkutsk at 6:20a.m…sat next to an adorable girl on the pant. I guess her to be in her mid-20’s. Her name is Tatiana. She is from Irkutsk – living in Moscow. She was an exchange student a year ago in the U.S. (Denver). What you might picture a beautiful Russian girl to look like – that is Tatiana…then add bubbly personality – she is my new Russian best friend!
Her Mom and sister picked her up at the airport –her mother (Svetlana) is just as adorable as she is (and probably my age!). They invited me to their home this week. Not sure I will do that, but I might call them and see if they want to meet for lunch one day. Really – the nicest people. Come to think of it – they remind me IN A BIG WAY of Vanessa Smith and her mom Jean Cooreman. Add in an older sister – and *poof* you have Tatiana and Svetlana!
Andrew picked me up from the airport – and took me to a new apartment. I thought I was staying at the apartment most adoptive parents have stayed at. When I got in touch with Alex to tell him I was coming to town, and would need somewhere to stay, I told him that I wanted somewhere safe – since I would be staying alone.
Here is the thing about Alex…you mention something to him, he never says anything about it…then the next thing you know – it’s done. This is the safest nicest apartment I have ever seen. Even by American standards – this is a NICE apartment. Security guard at the door, 2 gates, electronic key entry into the building. The apartment itself – WOW. Stainless appliances, cool deep sink, hot tub, big closet. Unbelievable! And, I in the same neighborhood as Alex (just in case!). The only thing is that there is no phone hooked up yet. There was some problem – but it will be resolved today.
The new pad is not near downtown (the proximity to DT is relative to safety). But that is OK. If I want to go DT (and of course I will want to!) – I can just take a cab.
Another thing – I mentioned to Alex that I would like to have a cell phone while I was here. I wondered if it was possible to rent one. Well, I get one today. NICE! I can be online anytime, go downtown – and call Alex for help! And – he can call me anytime – and I don’t have to worry about being online.
This one is for Marty – the super market across the street is a nice one. And – the young gal who took my money didn’t growl at me for not having the right change!
The only thing I know I forgot is the converter for the electric for my flat iron. In Moscow, I plugged it in, and 10 seconds later, it got really hot – so I quickly unplugged it - don’t want to ruin it! If I did – (Sonia – this is for you) – I want one of those fancy pink ones! I am going to try to pick one up this afternoon.
Oh – luggage. I was able to navigate the airport and luggage myself with NO problems at all. The gal who checked me in was very nice – I am learning that young Russian girls like me…it’s the ones who are older who I have a hard time with. Anyway, I estimated I would need to pay in the $250 range for the extra luggage. This is based on what I know the fees are, and how much my stuff weighed. 2 incredible things happened. First, my checked luggage seemed to lose 10 pounds en route to Moscow. Not sure how that happened, but it did! Also, you are only allowed so many pounds on your carry on luggage. They didn’t weigh mine! YAY! My documents were in my carry on, so it was pretty heavy! I only had to pay $135 for the overage, and the lady who took the money was nice to me, spoke English, and APOLOGIZED for having to take the money! YAY GOD! Paying for luggage overage is one of my hot buttons, so PRAISE GOD for making this go so smoothly!
Oh one more thing – the hotel in Moscow. To all adoptive parents out there who will be in Moscow – the hotel is called The Atlanta. It was only $65 for my stay over – this is VERY cheap! Generally we pay in the $200 - $300 range at the Novatel. Plus $50 for the 5 minute ride to the hotel from the airport! At The Atlanta, transportation is free – they pick you up right at your gate – with a sign with your name on it. They help with luggage and everything…FOR FREE! It is a little drive (probably 10 -15 minutes) from the airport – but well worth it. There is a restaurant there. VERY nice place. People are wonderful – a quaint, little B&B feel (but all rooms are new, clean and have private bathrooms). And the best part – FREE WIFI! If you want to stay there, book it through Peace Travel.
4 comments:
OH I'm so happy to hear you arrived. I read all your posts from top to bottom, so excuse the confusion if I just comment here!
Glad to hear the trip was smooth, and that Alex seems to be taking care of you! I'm sure you are very relieved! I love reading about Anya, and can't wait to see pictures. You must be so happy!
When you mentioned the Atlantic, is that a day hotel? We have more than 8 hours between flights, and are considering...
Can't wait for updates, and hopiing (and praying) that you're able to submit all your paperwork before you come home!
When do you return? We're arriving on the 6th - not sure if that is too late.
Oh yeah, and ENJOY THE FIREWORKS ON NYE - THEY ARE Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Did you hear that Debbie also has a court date??? Yippee!!!!
I'm so glad you got there safely and all went so smoothly. Give Anya a BIG hug from me. I keep praying that you're able to get your paperwork submitted and Anya's papers ordered before you come home.
Love to you both,
Mom
I am so glad to hear from you!! Thinking about you constantly and was hoping to hear something soon. Give Alex and Andrew a hug from Nate and I!! Make sure you take tons of pictures!! Cannot wait to see Anya!! Hard to believe that it was 10 years ago that we were in Irkutsk at the same time as this!! We came home New years Eve!
Oh, and when you look at the ice sculptures -- if you go to the one where you have to pay a little bit to see it - have someone translate your ticket. We found out too late last time we would have gotten a souvenier if we had turned it in that evening! Crystal Palace or something it was called two years ago -- it was beautiful!
Post a Comment