Tuesday, March 03, 2009

it's always something, isn't it?

I am not kidding, I just get done worrying about one thing, then something else pops up!

Now, it's the INS approval from the USCIS...

We've been approved for the past 4+ years. The approval expired, so we had to completely redo the whole thing. We resubmitted everything that is required - and they ask for more. We supplied that - I asked to day what the status was, and here is what I got:

"The home study received the last week of February was reviewed. A Request for Evidence has been issued due to missing elements on the home study. Please patiently await the Request for Evidence Form in the mail."

So I replied back with:
"Thank you for the reply. We are in a serious time crunch as our documents will do to the Judge in Russia on March 11th (which is the 10th our time). Is it possible for you to please tell me what is missing or what you need clarification on? We don't have the luxury to wait on the mail. Without this approval, the Embassy will not be able to issue a mandatory letter for our file. Without that letter, we will not be able to obtain a court date. What can be done?"

I got this:
"call your agency"

So, I did - and they have not received anything from the USCIS.

Nice.

So I call our Congressman's office. Nice lady tells me that 'something doesn't sound right', and she suggests I call this "adoption expert" in Ft. Wayne at Catholic Charities. So I did. Had to leave a message, and haven't heard back.

Are you KIDDING ME?!

I talked to our social worker - she is floored, and has no idea what in the world they might want. She thinks maybe they think it is necessary for us to apply for an I800 (which you need in some countries, but not in Russia), or maybe they think we need another form (that you need if you are in Illinois, but Indiana residents do not need this).

And of course, there is no phone number where you can call these job-lovers at the Chicago USCIS. The only way to contact them is via email - and they only respond to email one time a day.

Need second bottle of Maalox! Please send other antacids!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG this must be exhausting. I am so sorry. I admire your resolve. I know a little of how you feel, I at least have the luxury of having my babies in my house. I know we'd do anything to resolve our case and I can see you are doing no different, but that burning question of WHY? still lingers, does it not.

Lisa said...

Oh MY GOODNESS!!! Are you bald yet?

We'll be praying it works itself out quickly!

Blessings,
Lisa

Debbie said...

I was thinking it might be they're thinking about the Hague requirements (which you don't need for Russia). Gosh, I'd have you contact my wonderful SW but don't know if Milwaukee could help... Your SW doesn't have a contact at USCIS?? But I agree about the nerve-wracking... we were on a fingerprint crunch to get our Embassy letter last year!

Thinking and praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
I was so upset when I read this that I spent time looking for a number for you. These are all numbers to USCIS in Chicago. Try them all!!! 312-360-1346, 312-239-5900 and 312-385-1500. Ask for the adoption coordinator.
Fingers crossed.
Melissa

J. said...

Kathy, keep pressing your congressman & senators. They helped us INSTANTLY for both kids adoptions! Keep hounding them. They are elected to serve the people...

kate said...

Trying to communicate with them via e-mail is USELESS!

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

Holy cow!
For the love of Pete!
Praying for you!!!!!!
Nothin' will stop your baby from coming home this time!!

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

BTW,
Loved Lisa's comment!! hee hee
Bald.
THAT is funny.
If you are we'll all pitch in and buy you the coolest wig EVER!!