Another one of our 'Irkutsk' friends (Jane) also met at the airport. It is so fun to met the people in person you've been communicating with for such a long time.
So - we get to terminal 5 - the international terminal at O'Hare. The kiosk says that Debbie and Brian's flight should be coming into gate A...there are only 2 gates, and they are about 100 feet apart, so we move to gate A. We find Debbie's Mom and Dad, Brian's Mom and mom's friend, and of course, the other Ninmann boy -JJ. We must have looked crazy - staring everyone down that was exiting the corridor from exit A. Brian is tall - so Debbie's mom and I are looking at every single tall person trying to decide if that was Brian. About 20-25 minutes into our search, I turn around - and there is Debbie! WHAT????
Apparently they had to go through the red line in immigration (too hard to explain...) which means they came out the exit A. Ugh! So much for the perfect photographic moment as the Ninmann family comes out of the dark corridor to the whoops and hollars of family and friends!
It was such an emotional relief to see Debbie, Brian and Nathan. Knowing what they have been through, and trying to imagine what it will be like when we're walking through that dark corridor with Anya - seriously, it's too much to think about sometimes.
I can't wait to talk to Debbie to get the low down on the whole experience. Debbie - I promise I won't bug you! I'll let you get a good night's sleep and unpack :)
Here are some photos of our day.
Chicago area Irkutsk Moms
Jane - Debbie - Me
(yes Mom, I am slouching down so I don't look like a wookie)

The Ninmann Family
Brian, Debbie, JJ and Nathan Genya

Nathan Genya was very excited about his welcome
home balloons and the pinwheel from Jane!

3 comments:
It was so nice to meet you and Marty... although I feel like I already know you! I was thinking the same thing about the day Sasha comes home. It is too much to think about. I was emotional seeing Debbie, Brian, and Genya...I cannot imagine when it is me!!! How wonderful will it be when the the "Chicago area Irkutsk moms" can reunite with all our children?
Blessings,
Jane
So glad you were able to be there! I remember feeling the exact same way seeing the Holmes family in Atlanta! I could barely hold back the tears, so I know when it is us and we are greeted by our waiting friends and famiy I will be crying for sure!
Can't wait to hear you have your courtdate, hopefully followed soon by Jane and the Groff's.
Praying for your fundraisers!
Blessings!
Lisa
I'm so glad you got to be there, along with Jane to welcome them home. For us, to find all the Irkutsk/Angark families waiting meant EVERYTHING to us! Though we're not geographically close to ANY of the families who wait, I have promised myself I will find a way to be there for at least one other homecoming!
Post a Comment