Saturday, March 14, 2009

should clarify

Thank you for your kind notes and offers to help...actually, there really is no one who can help. Anything that was ever done in any other part of Russia will be no good to us - and it appears that even following the document list that our friends, the Ninmann's, went to court with last month (in the same city) isn't a good plan.

One thing about Russia that you can count on - is to NEVER count on anything. I should know by now to now that I shouldn't get my hopes up on anything - ESPECIALLY when it comes to anything that has to do with documents and the Judge.

For some reason this reminds me of when I was getting my MBA. I had this horrible finance class, and a horrible professor who didn't speak English. I would ask a question like:

"Can you please help me through problem #2"

He would say, "Yes, thank you"

I would get a funny look on my face and say, "OK, well - it appears that we should be using the XYZ theory - but I can't find the starting point to get to the answer."

He would say, "Yes, thank you."

I would get a more irritated look on my face and say, "allrighty then, um, the answer I am getting is ABC, but I see in the key it should be XYZ, can you please walk through this with me - I am not understanding how to get to XYZ"

He would say, "Yes, thank you."

SO - assuming he understood what I was saying, I would sit there....silence....nothing....so I would follow up with "what page would I find the answer to this problem?"

He would say, "Yes, thank you."

I remember being so frustrated in that class, many times I would be up all night long in tears because there was no one who could help me. The one person whose job it was to help me - didn't understand a word I was saying.

This whole thing is kind of like that. The Judge doesn't understand that we don't have a Federal adoption law, she doesn't understand that Katherine A Friend is the same person as Kathy Friend, Katherine Ann Friend etc. I wish that I could get to the point of pity - that is what happened with the Finance prof - I felt sorry for him. I figured out other means to my answers in his class, and ended up with a B+ (still not sure how I pulled that one off).

TIMELINE
I should mention my timeline.

The documents need to be re-presented to the Judge by April 13. So - they need to be back to Irk by April 6 to be translated. Because it can take between 1-2 weeks to be delivered, we need to ship everything from here by March 23 (this will allow 2 weeks, worst case scenario). So, before things can be shipped, they need to be apostilled by the Secretary of State. Generally that will take one day to ship, and one day to process, and one day to ship out...it can be done all in one day, but that would require a 3 hour (one way) drive to Indianapolis...so - that would mean we need to ship things to the state by March 19th.

Today is March 13th...this is a weekend, not much can be done on a weekend. The 18th is completely booked with appointments....so that means I have Monday and Tuesday.

Assuming things can get shipped faster than 2 weeks (allow 1 week), then I have this full week.

I am very concerned about the police letters...I assume they want new state police criminal checks. This usually takes 7-10 days. You can't just show up and get it done...they mail it to you.

Joan - we'll need to get those stupid fingerprint cards done AGAIN - can that be done on the weekend?


DEBBIE AND JUDY - what did you do about the deed to your house? The Judge didn't accept the Quit Claim Deed to our house - did you show a deed?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you built your house I'm not sure if you have a mortgage, but we had our mortgage company write a letter stating we owned our house, we lived there, purchase date and that we were in good standing with the mortgage company. Our county assessor wouldn't help us so our agency suggested this as an alternative, and it worked.

You are in my thoughts tonight. I pray that this is your last hurdle in bringing your daughter home, and that you find the strength to get everything done in a ridiculously short periord of time.

Renee

Lisa said...

Kathy, I got a response back from my real estate friend. Don't know if it will help, or with your time crunch it will be an option but he did have a suggestion. I'll past below.



I think the best thing to do would be to consult a Real Estate attorney. I believe they would be able to get or create the right document to satisfy the Russian courts. He could create some sort of ownership affidavit that answered all the questions and then notarize it and even record it in public records. It will cost a little money to do that, probably a few hundred dollars to meet with attorney and have them draw it up but if that is the last step in the adoption I imagine it will be a small figure compared to the rest of the money and time they have spent already. I'll consult with some of my colleagues and see if they have any other ideas.

Debbie said...

I'll email you

Joan Yoder said...

Kathy,

Not sure about the prints over the weekend but will call our Records Manager right now and get back with you.

Joan

kate said...

Okay, knowing all things are not equal, I'm still throwing this out there: Is it possible to do a local police check instead of a state-wide one? You can usually get one in less than an hour. I've had to do that for teaching. If you CAN'T get the state police clearance, it as least shows good faith that your tried. (We know how much that counts...)

When does the new judge start?

Breathe. Pray. Listen. Those are the most important things you can do now.

(Was not very impressed with the e-mail you got giving you "directions". It sounded like that person didn't know what the judge meant and had no ideas for you. Not much of a help.)

Joan Yoder said...

Kathy,

Call me ASAP..home: 862-4014 / cell:312-4051. I've made arrangements for you and Marty to get the prints done this weekend.

Joan

Anonymous said...

I know there is little anybody can do but PLEASE know I am praying, praying, praying for all of you!!!

flybyknight said...

Kathy, sorry I'm not an expert in any of these fields. I have some free time this coming week though, so if I could be of any assistance admistratively (copies, mailing, online research) please let me know! My little sister was adopted from Korea and so your situation really touches my heart. In the meantime, I will be praying wholeheartedly for and about the judge!!

Sami
P.S. Went to Goodwill yesterday to look for clothes for Elijah to take to India and found your flyer in my bag! :)