The good-intentioned comments can be naive, and quite honestly cold-hearted. In the 4 years we’ve been on an adoption journey, we’ve had some crazy things said to us. Most aren’t mean-spirited, many made me take a step back and say “huh“, and others truly left me speechless.
When we started out to adopt a child from Russia, we never imagined we would be sitting here, 4+ years later, waiting for a court date. To answer the questions I know will come:
1. Yes - we know the child. We met her when she was 2 - now she is 6.
2. Yes - we plan on seeing this through to the end.
3. No - we will not stop the battle to bring her home.
4. Yes - we have met her, we travel to Russia every year to see her; and communicate with her via email, letters and phone calls.
I want to share some things people have said to us - not to laugh as much as to educate. The adoption process is a very personal, very emotional pregnancy. For me, I’ve been “pregnant” (or as they say in the adoption community - ‘paperwork pregnant’) for over 4 years.
To read the rest of the story, go HERE.
5 comments:
Oh Yes in my 10 or more years of being around adoption I have heard it all. Just amazes what people say to us. Some are said innocently some people are just plain mean or do not want to understand.
One day I was pushing my triplet grandsons and someone yells "Are they real?" I yelled back, 'No, they are plastic.'
I'm off to read!
I do admire your tenacity! I haven't been at this as long as you have, and I haven't met my d2b. But, we think we know who she is. And, knowing that has made the last two months so much harder. I'm praying for your Anya now--and for all of your family. Do not grow weary in doing good!
Wow! Powerful article! Thanks for sharing the joys and struggles of being a PAP. I continue to pray for you! Anya is so blessed to have you and Marty fighting for her! :)
Thanksgiving 2007, we traveled to FL. to spend it with friends. They're a bit older and kind of like parents to me... My "mom" handed me an article she had clipped from the newspaper after we talked about V's adoption. She said "Lisa, this poor woman wasn't prepared, you need to take into consideration these kids can be difficult, and you don't know what you're getting into". I bit my tongue and accepted the article, but absolutely went bonkers when I saw the name "PEGGY HILT" across the top of the newspaper page! Was she kidding!?! She was making this monster into the victim? She wasn't prepared? I don't think that was the problem with Peggy Hilt, but even if it was does that somehow diminish what happened? Absolutely NOT!!! I was totally outraged... worst Thanksgiving EVER!!
Post a Comment