Wednesday, October 29, 2008

To all the PAPs out there

Or anyone who has been a PAP!

I am working on another adoption story for Blissfully Domestic. One thought - I am so glad that magazine is so much more than just recipes, cleaning tips and money saving ideas!


Anyway - the story I am working on is advice. Advice for anyone in the initial stages of adoption, or considering adoption. I am sure there are things we all wish someone would have told us BEFORE we took that first step. What is your advice?


For me, I wish someone would have pushed us to start 2 months earlier. If we would have, Anya would be home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
My advise would be to be sure that they and their spouse are 100% committed to this endeavor. If you are both not committed, wait to begin or proceed. Be sure you are adopting to fill your own void, not to provide your current child a sibling, save the world, etc. You didn't create the circumstance that caused all of these children to be orphans. Knowing that you've changed one child's life is just a little bonus that you can treasure. I never tell my kids that I saved them. Only Jesus saves. There is nothing wrong with wanting a child who resembles you or doesn't "look" adopted. Why do you think people want biological children? Same reason. Also, adopting is a process that is different for everyone. You really can not put much credit towards what others have experienced. Especially in regards to the timeline! (Nothing new to you!) When adopting from another country, you are a foreigner. You do not have control over officials at any level. My last piece of advice is to try to enjoy the process. This is your pregnancy and even though something bad could happen, try to enjoy it and learn from the good and the bad. Also, if someone tells you that adoption is the easy way to have a child (yes, this is from personal experience) laugh and walk away.
Jill

kate said...

I think the best advice I got, and advice that I found hard to believe, was that the money didn't matter--that I should change agencies. As a single teacher, that was hard to believe. But, having changed agencies, I can't say I miss that money.

Educate yourself, make the best decisions you can, and don't feel locked into them. Change if you need to change!

Anonymous said...

"Take it one prayer-one step-one prayer-one step at a time. And try to keep calm and know that adoption is a God-concept... He'll help you handle everything you need to do. He loves that child more than you."

Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Our agency reminded us many times through our wait that "You will get the child you were meant to raise." These words always bring me so much encouragement. When a situation came our way that didn't work out, I would think to myself...well our baby must still be out there somewhere waiting for us.

I am not to the end yet but I just know it will be worth the wait!

Jessica