Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cancer

Recently, I seem to be touched by cancer. I don't know why. A few weeks ago, I SWORE I had a conversation with someone who told me one of my friends had breast cancer. I called a mutual friend who told me (among other things) that I was crazy. I must have dreamed that one.


Yesterday - I went to the Secret Sisters Luncheon. It is a gathering of about 1,600 women in support of cancer survivors. My friend's mom was one of the models in the style show, so I wanted to show my support. At the beginning of the event, they showed a video - 8 of the 10 ladies that were featured in this video were people I know, customers, or those I went to high school with.


I thought I was one of those rare people who didn't know anyone who had battled cancer. Well, I know TOO many.


Tonight I ran into my friend who I thought had cancer. She came up to me and we had a good chuckle about it all...then in all seriousness she told me she has been having some trouble, and is having a mammogram next week.


I don't know what to say about that, except something has to be done. I don't know what - but I do know that I will continue to volunteer my time with our local organizations that support those who have cancer, and those who are raising funds for research.


What will you do? Has cancer touched your life? Your family?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy...let's talk about this sometime. I'll turn you on to several resources.

Becky said...

Yes! At the moment I am astonished at how many people in my life are battling cancer. This is stupid, but look at how much money goes into cancer care. Do you ever think that not finding a cure is somewhat 'political?'?
My dear dad died of cancer. There are days I long for him to still be here.
At the moment I am very involved with a co-worker who has cancer. I am on her two person support list. I just want her back at work. She is my 'alliance!'