This weekend in church, our pastor talked about ‘telling everyone’ you know. I started remembering back when I first became a Christian, and how I told everyone I knew – then about how when we were first starting down this adoption path – and how I told everyone I knew.
Why did I stop telling everyone? My enthusiasm and passion for both of these things hasn’t diminished. Puzzling.
So, I’ve been thinking about that, why did I stop telling everyone? It was true that many times when I would share my Faith, people would listen, and ask a lot of questions. My favorite comment was, “wow, you are so normal for a Christian”…whatever THAT means .
Likewise, when I would talk about our adoption journey, I would share some of our struggle, and people are interested. People have even told me they are encouraged by our tenacity and Faith.
So – why have I stopped talking about it? In the past, you couldn’t know my name was Kathy without knowing that I go to GCC (our church), I am a Christian, my Faith is important to me…and that we are adopting a little girl from Russia.
I think I stopped because of a few things. First, I got busy – my mind got busy and cluttered with my to-do list, and my goals have been all about getting things out of my in-box. I also think I got to the point that I thought I was bugging people. I didn’t want to ‘bore’ people with those details of my personal life.
But – the facts remain. My Faith and the fact that we are adopting Anya define who I am as a person.
So – I am going to start talking about it again. I guess – this is a fair warning!
2 comments:
Amen! I agree 100%!!
We need to be "authentic" to everyone around us and tell tell people the wonderful truth!!
Hey Guys,
Completely understand. Identity is a funny (in an "uh-oh" sort of way) thing. Hang in there...
Post a Comment