I have been thinking about my friends (the Holmes) who have had to spend 7 weeks in Irkutsk...and my other friends who are on the 6th week (the Ninmanns)...and wondering what it would take to do that (aside from the financial part).
What do I do every month that I couldn't do...things like my facial regimen between the various lotions and potions - it'd be one thing every night. I know this sounds really high maintenance, but I keep thinking there is some magic lotion or potion out there...so I try several in small doses.
Of course getting my nails done would be out of the question. I know there are nail salons over there now, but I doubt they do the basic pink and white fill that I like. I took off my fakes this week, trying to save money - and this is a good way to strengthen my nails for life in Irkutsk. I've had fake nails on for YEARS (literally, about 15 years), so we'll see how long this lasts. I had a few unexpected cash projects this week - and that cash is burning a hole in my pink wallet...and is screaming to me "get your nails put back on!". It's funny, I can't do anything without fingernails - hard to type, can't pick anything up, forget buttoning!
What about hair!? I get my hair cut / colored about every 5 weeks. I know, you are all in SHOCK, I am not a natural blond. I know I act like it (I tell ya, the bleach had just sunk into my head after all these years). What am I going to look like after 7 weeks? YIKES! 5 weeks is my limit. I wonder if I can take the ingredients with me and do it myself? That is one I am going to have to think about...
My electric toothbrush. Have you ever used one? If you do, then you will understand...going 7 weeks without that deep cleaning of my teeth? Blech.
7 weeks with out my Bible study girls, 7 weeks without church, 7 weeks without my Blackberry, 7 weeks without the variety of options in my closet (I know now that sounds...just remember I work in the fashion industry and am blessed with a lot of clothes and shoes - a perk of the job!), 7 weeks without going on a client appointment, 7 weeks without showing clothes. ODD!
And my house...we have serious dust issues in this house - especially that time of the year. You have to at least wipe everything off once a week.
What about the yard? We live on 3 acres of land. It is going to need mowing...my brother used to like to come over here when we were gone to play farmer brown on the tractor - but he moved. Hummmm....
The fur babies...our kitties. Jazz and Lola are used to us being here all the time. When we're gone for a week, that is one thing - but I think it is mean to leave them alone for that long. Someone will come in and feed them every day - but that isn't' the same as us being here. Cats are very social animals, and get depressed easily. Ugh - this makes me sad. Need to find someone to stay at the house.
Bills - who is going to go through the mountains of mail and pay bills? I have to pay junk about every other week. I don't really pay attention to what is due when, I just pay what comes in the mail. I guess I should start paying attention, huh?
Any tips? Anything I am not thinking about?
7 comments:
You know those are good questions. When we were in Irkutsk for 6 weeks I never even thought of all that. I had my curling iron and my blow dryer. Sorry I couldn't be of much help but we wore hats so much that sometimes my hair didn't get more than good washing for the day. Except for court LOL!!!
Dust! LOL I never thought of that one either.
Yard we had a wonderful neighbor that kept an eye on our yard.
Take a deep breathe and do NOT let that stuff worry you. The animals yes find someone that loves kitties. Your church maybe?
Our biggest worry was that my husband would have a month without pay. Just to be honest it has taken us 6 years to recover from that so be prepared. It is SO worth it but it has been tough.
For bill we wrote them out and put a date on them and gave them to a family member to send out on the appropriate date. Some places we called to let them know we would be out of the country for a long time.
When we had animals on our first time in Russia in 97 we had someone live in to watch the animals.
First, bring your electric toothbrush and just use a converter...small pleasure will be WORTH it!
The clothing, yeah, I'm sick of mine but only about two things are going to remain in my wardrobe after this!
My hair? yikes, I'm so looking forward to a spa day once home - maybe that's the purpose, to get me to appreciate it more!
There is a nail place right up the road from us - it's even called pink nail art or something...
The bills? Get set up on automatic payment and then get someone to be notified if you overdraw at the bank (like happened to us this week!) lol -- really, Brenda's suggestion is probably sound.
Luckily there hasn't been much snow since we've left but otherwise that was our dilemna also -- grass is a whole other story tho.
But I won't even TELL you what our cat's been up to since we've been gone! Depressed!? Nah, I think she's going psycho!! :)
You KNOW we'll be emailing before you come... Honestly? It's the church and friends that we miss the most -- the hair, you deal with, the clothes, you live without - but the friends - YOU MISS THEM!! email helps tho!!
What bills do you have that you can't pay online? Can you overpay them/pay in advance?
Nails can be done here (but natural is probably better! I've never done fake nails...outside of theatre.). You might want to bring your own polish.
My friend "blondes" her hair and has the WORST luck with it here! Even bringing product from home doesn't work. There's something about the water here that makes her go orange.
Look at this as a chance to simplify! ;> I love my LUSH scrub and moisturizer...
You'll be SO happy to be here that you won't be bothered by the little things--at least that's my prediction.
Kate summed it all up in her last paragraph. You'll be amazed how little everything else matters once you are there with Anya. SHE will be all that matters, and rightly so. The rest, you'll find, is just stuff...insignificant stuff! Hang in there!
Well I agree that i certainly don't worry about my hair here and agree i think there is something in the water but I'd still say bring your electric toothbrush - that little splurge will make you very happy! :)
The kitties and the bills, yes - but for me the time we spent in Russia is without a doubt the best time of my life.
I just read your whole story.... My heavens! We brought home three children from Russia in the time you have been waiting for Anya... God must have a plan.
Post a Comment