Sunday, February 22, 2009

I think I am going to pull my hair out


There is more drama going on in the world of Russian adoptions.

I’ve spent a lot of time over the past day researching, reading and trying to discern between what is fact, what is fiction and what is talk. To be in the Russian adoption game for very long, you will acquire this skill...every year about this time, several 'rumors' surface. We will hear that the MOE has called for a moratorium on adoptions. We will hear there is a new judge in the region. We will hear that the MOE is proposing that independent adoptions be outlawed in Russia.


The latest can best be described as a correspondence (or maybe a white paper). It was a letter from the MOE (ministry of education and science - they run adoptions in Russia) to the regions. This letter contains a 7 page list of US agencies who have been black listed for not filing post placement reports.

In adoption, at least in Russia, you are required to file post placement reports. Some parents do not do this. Some agencies don't. This is the problem.

From everything I can come up with, it looks like this is a way for the MOE to try to control independent adoptions. There is a movement about every year to ‘outlaw’ independent adoptions, I can even remember scuttle butt about this back in 2004. An independent adoption is one that is going about the process without an accredited agency. Back in the day - independent adoptions were the norm.

Today, the way it is done (generally) is that there is a home study agency and a placement agency. The placement agency holds the accreditation in Russia, and they accept the responsibility for the post placement reports.

This list is a home study agency list – and it looks like every agency I can think of is on it – even our Home study agency in Indianapolis and Bethany. The MOE has suggested not to accept dossiers that include any documents / homestudies from agencies on this list. The good news is that the agency we're working with who hold accreditation in Russia is not on this list...which leaves us not knowing what this means.

We still don’t know how this is going to be interpreted in Irkutsk. From my experience, I would say that whatever the most horrible outcome could be – plan on that. Which means, redoing homestudies etc.

I have made contact with our home study agency and asked:
1. What are they doing about this, what is the plan to rectify the situation
2. If we have to redo the homestudy and all documents on their letterhead, what plan of action do they have in place to make this a smooth and fast transition – I also asked them to get on this ASAP.

Bold – yes…but at this point, with our documents going to the Judge in weeks (maybe even days), I want to lay some foundation work NOW so if / when the time comes – we already have the foundation laid.


Given this information, we need prayer. We don't now what this means, and is just another 'thing' we need to deal with...another 'thing' to cause frustration...and all now, when we are SO CLOSE.


Yea, I am mad, frustrated and about ready to pull my hair out!!



...off to drink a bottle of Mylanta




5 comments:

Lisa said...

Clink clink.. here's to the hair pulling. I raise my bottle of Mylanta (cherry flavored please)CHEERS!!!

UGH!!! Praying it is no big deal and won't hold you guys up!!!

annieology said...

It's nutty enough dealing with all this c.r.a.p. 3 1/2 hours away, I cannot imagine what it's like half way round the world. I always say a prayer for you when you cross my mind, which is often. God speed my friend.

Debbie said...

I am CONFIDENT this will all work out... breath and then pray. We'll be praying here!

kate said...

It sounds like different regions and different agencies are (surprise) dealing with this differently. And, since you have an unknown judge...who knows?

I think it's reasonable, as long as your placing agency isn't on the list, to simply have a back-up ppr commitment letter from a HS agency that is in good standing.

Reasonable. But what do I know?

Praying for hearts that are filled with compassion in the MOE offices across Russia.

J. said...

This is just horrible! I sure hope your HS agency is ready to deal with it! Don't lose hope! Anya WILL come home soon!

I did notice that CHSFS and Florence Critendon are NOT on the list - which means there are likely many more. Perhaps your HS agency can partner with one of them to cover the H.S. From what we've learned, agencies do it all the time...