The past few weeks, I've been slapped in the face with some reality. Yes - things are bad, frustrating with the adoption. Yes, my heart hurts every day to be with my little girl...but things could be worse.
- One of my friends passed a milestone. 7 years without her son. He died at age 5 from brain cancer. His funeral was one of the most beautiful and hardest things I've ever experienced. Perhaps harder, because we all (many friends and family) really REALLY believed that this child was going to be a miracle.
- Another friend has found herself as the caregiver for her father. He has dementia. He had been in prison for the past 8 years, therefore - was estranged from his family. Then one day, out of the blue - she gets a call from a hospital "are you XXX" "yes" "will you accept guardianship for you father". Her life changed in the span on one sentence.
- One of my oldest and dearest friends and I recently reconnected (gotta love Facebook!). His is a single Dad, raising a teenage girl. That in and of itself is a big thing...but there is more. His daughter is a medical miracle, she has stumped doctors all over the globe. No one can tell her the story of HER. There are no answers. To top it off - she is fighting her second round of cancer...which will likely take her out of the entire first semester of her Junior year of high school. To look in this child's eyes, is to see hope. I see a determined will...one that doesn't give up easily, and one that knows how to work her Dad :)! I love to see the relationship between a Dad and his little girl...I also see the heartbreak in the Dad's eyes for his precious gift from God. I want to squeeze this child, and tell her that her life matters. That God's plans for her are huge. I want to take her to get a manicure and a pedicure. But today, she is facing more chemo and the possibility of a transfusion. I've been on my knees for this family.
- I have so many friends who find themselves in a quiet home...for the first time in many years, all of their kids are in school. On the surface, this seems like every Mommy's dream come true - but the reality is that silence is deafening. I continue to see photos, blog posts and Facebook updates from Moms who are lost - who are needing to redefine themselves, who need to step out of one chapter of life into another...a new chapter with a little more time in the day. Redefining ourselves as women, and mothers can be hard.
- I have a friend whose daughter leaves for college this week. Her husband was diagnosed with cancer this summer, and it is possible that her other adult daughter has Augsburg's Disease. I am exhausted just thinking about the magnitude of the emotional toll just ONE of these things can take on a family. She needs a break.
- Yet another friend has Rheumatoid Arthritis. She also has 3 very active little girls. This week, her knee has decided to stop working...which means she can't walk - literally. Had nothing to do with the arthritis, but is just another painful thing to deal with. Imagine the frustration, the feeling of helplessness...I would be in a really bad mood, and someone would need to be feeding me cakes and candy!
- A client's father has fallen gravely ill in the past few weeks. This has caused the family to make major decisions, quickly. Watching your parents health go down hill is painful. I remember seeing my Grandpa (who was like my Dad) go from the strongest man I knew into a frail old man...it seemed to happen overnight. Changing roles in your family, with your parents is inevitable. It's not easy.
- One of my fashioney-friends is struggling for answers about her health. Stabbing debilitating pains - doctors saying that it is all in her head...and we know it's not, in fact it is in her abdomen! She has been ill for weeks, and no one knows what is going on. To know this industry (fashion), August is a very busy month...added stress is not helping her medical condition. I so with I lived closer to her. I so wish I could give her a break. I wish I knew a doctor that would find out what is wrong and fix it!
- A friend from high school has stage 4 cancer. I had no idea. Went to dinner with her and several other high school friends the other night, and I didn't even recognize her. I feel horrible for not talking to her, not catching up, not knowing. I thought it was strange that no one at the table was introducing her to me...they knew I knew her, but I didn't. She has 2 daughters (I think), I can't even begin to imagine what she is going through - the preparations her heart must be making...I need to pray that she will win this battle.
- This friend is one of those people I have great memories with. We've done so many things together from the time we were 10 years old...I can't even begin to tell you all the trouble we dodged together. We recently found out that she was pregnant. That in and of itself was a miracle. Then she learned she was having twins. I had tried to think about what that would be like for me...excitement turned to panic? Yesterday, she went to the doctor, and was going to find out the sex of the twins. Instead, she learned that one of the babies was gone. She is praising God for the health and gift of the other baby...but can you imagine? I just want to hug her and tell her that her precious other twin is in heaven. I want to tell her that it is OK to grieve. But, I am not her, I can't relate - I can't take any of her pain away. I can't answer any of the questions I am sure she has. I wish I could.
- I ran into someone I've known for several years. I was going on and on about my Mom's recent hand surgery...come to find out her mother has passed away. She had been her mother's caregiver for 8 years, her mother was nearly 90. She lived a full life. Death can be more about the ones left behind, can't it? My friend is in a state of grief - feeling like an orphan. I should have been more compassionate - I wish I would have known about her mother's passing.
- There is a young girl in India, she is 15. She tried to commit suicide because of a lifetime of beatings, abuse and intolerable conditions. She is brilliant. If she was in the United States, her existence would be so different. She would probably be preparing to attend Harvard or Yale. She is not in school in India. Her job is to watch goats. She needs to know that God has a plan for her life - and that plan is huge.
So yes, things could be worse. But my heart is heavy with the issues of my friends. I want to make it better, I want to do something to brighten their day - to allow them to forget the junk for just one minute. I want them to know that God is in control! He has a plan, and BELIEVE ME HIS plan is the perfect plan.
When you get frustrated with your life, with the state of things in your world. Remember these very real stories. Things could be worse.
5 comments:
I know. Exactly. I am astounded by things going on. At the moment I am involved with 3 really difficult situations involving a close friend/family. It can be overpowering. Consuming. Oppresive.
Today I wanted to do something to make a difference. I called the Women's Shelter and told them I am hiring. They sent an applicant in and I went outside the guidelines and hired her. She was so excited that she was almost dancing on her way out. It made my day......
Kathy, thank you for the kind words and your prayers for me. The baby is in God's hands now and is where he/her needs to be. Just know that we are doing better with understanding all of it and focusing on the maintenance of growing one healthy, incredible, super-spoiled baby!! :) Another thing, I am so grateful for reconnecting with you after all these years! I just love you so much and always have! Looking forward to many, many more years together and our kids playing together! :)
Kathy, my heart aches for all of your friends. I just want to reach out and help them all. We should all be down on our knees thanking God for our lives messed up as they can be sometimes.
You mentioned your friend with stabbing abdominal pain. I want to tell you about my mother. She also suffered from abdominal pain as well as back pain. No doctor could figure it out. I am sure they were telling her it was all in her head.
She finally went to a doctor that diagnosed her with stage 3 Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Outcome was not very good. She received chemo and survived this cancer.
Tell your friend to not give up. Keep going to doctors until someone can give her an answer. There is something wrong. I pray it isn't cancer but something totally curable. Find a good teaching hospital such as Shands Hospital at University of Florida or Mayo Clinic or other prominent hospitals. Never worry about the costs. These hospitals have ways to assist people with the costs even to the point of absorbing the entire bill.
It is very sad to lose a young child or have with suffering with a horrible disease. They are so innocent and don't deserve. Actually, no one deserves to suffer.
Will be praying for you and your friends. Thanks for sharing.
Kathy, this post brought tears to my eyes! There is indeed so much suffering going on in this world, and sometimes it's hard to understand why! It's hard to understand how people who don't know God can cope because they don't have any hope! I will be praying!
Exactly,
I don't know how people who don't know God can survive without that hope.
Post a Comment