Wednesday, December 19, 2007

update...

Hello Everyone,

We talked to our contacts in Russia tonight. Apparently, the process as I understood it isn't exactly the way it goes.

Before our case officially goes to the Supreme Court - there is a meeting between our lawyer and the judge where our lawyer makes it knows that our intention is to take our case to the Supreme Court. Essentially, giving her one last chance.

The latest deal is that the judge won't accept our documents because we're not with an accredited agency. Which is OK by Russian Law. There are adoptions happening all over Russia by people who are "independent".

There is one agency who is waiting accreditation in Russia - the ONLY agency that works in Irkutsk. We've had some contact with the 'higher-ups' at this organization, and feel that when the accreditation comes through, that we will be able to help them - and they can help us. ...so to speak.

This agency has been 'next on the list' for a LONG time. We found out that there is one document they are having trouble getting in order to have the accreditation finalized. And, who knows when that will happen.

So - we're not waiting.

The plan is to call Irkutsk again in a few weeks to see how the meeting with the Judge went.

More updates in the courts in Irkutsk include a new Chief Judge, a new Deputy Judge...but Stepanova is still there :(

The rumors persist that she (Stepanova) will leave. Her commission is up, so she can leave any time. The newest rumor is that she will not come back after the winter holiday break (the month of January). Who knows...as with everything in Irkutsk, I will believe it when I see it!

So - here we are! Waiting again!

On a positive note, Anya is doing fine. Our friend in Irkutsk checked on her recently, and she is doing well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart and prayers are with you this holiday season! Love ya. Lisa B.

Anonymous said...

Will this ever end? Just when I feel like progress is being made, there's yet another hurtle. One step foreward, two steps back!! But we're still keeping on. My love and prayers for all of us.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Keep the Faith!
Thinking of you,
Afcharka from FRUA

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone - sorry about the scattered post - note to self...proofing is a good thing!

This really isn't a step back...it's simply a misunderstanding of the process - which was my fault. I didn't ask - I assumed...and you know what they say about those who assume...(haha)

From now, we're looking at about 3 months. Not bad considering we've been waiting for 38 months since out first trip!

Debbie said...

Thanks for the update on the "only accredited agency" - as you know we're waiting for them too and were told "Thanksgiving" -- I hadn't heard anything since then so at least I don't have to hold my breath the next few days!
Wishing you a Happy 2008! And it WILL be! Debbie and Brian in Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

I was so hoping you'd have a two legged Christmas gift under your tree this year ... Sorry! Kathy, you and Marty and Anya have been on my mind constantly lately. Keeping you in my prayers this holiday season! Love, Joan