This time, it's Lisa and Darren.
It will happen in about 2 weeks. And we should pray. Pray really really REALLY hard.
Regardless of your opinion of adoption, international adoption or really...anything, I think we can all agree that every child deserves a home and a loving family...that is what I am asking you to pray for.
Walking through this with Lisa and Darren brings back so many memories and emotions. I can remember how on-edge I was 1-week to that flight taking off to Russia. The slightest thing would make me break out into tears. I had so much to do, so much to think about...and no time to do it.
I remember getting a speeding ticket about 3 days before we left...and being so mad at the cop who clearly had NO IDEA what I was going through, what I was getting ready to go through - I honestly thought he just wanted to make me miserable. After the cop pulled away, I drove down the block, parked the truck (yes, I was driving a big HUGE truck at the time) and cried. Really boo-hooed for a long time.
I also remember trying to think and re-think what we would need to live in a foreign country for 2 months. I am a person who takes comfort in having a routine in my world (when normally, there is nothing normal about my world). Normal for me is the kind of toothpaste I use, my eye drops, makeup, shampoo...you get the idea. It is a kind of security blanket for me.
I remember all too well that feeling I had in the pit of my stomach for weeks. I didn't think it would ever go away. That nervous almost sick feeling...when you have no time to get sick. I know I told myself more than one time "mind over matter, you can not get sick now!"
The one thing I thing I remember the most was that NO ONE knew what I was going through; the emotions, the random freak outs...except one person - my friend Debbie. She was the only one who had REALLY been in my shoes (a year earlier).
So I know what Lisa is going through; I feel her stress and anxiety. I understand her questions and relate to her fears.
As time goes on, I continue to wonder why, really WHY it took so long to bring Anya home. Maybe one of the reasons is to pass-it-on...to be more compassionate to those who come after us. That seems to be the legacy of the Irkutsk Moms. Generally...we've all bonded together in a unique way. No one can understand what we went through (or are going to go through) than each other. It's a strange sorority.
To those who have gone before, what is your one piece of advice to Lisa and Darren? Please leave it in the comments...and you don't have to be an Irk Mom to comment :)
5 comments:
"Ps 139:16 All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be" -- No matter what happens or doesn't happen according to the schedule we WANT it to be, God knows exactly why we are going through it! Easier to say than practice but it helped me alot...
Also the only real practical advise is practice talking through a translator BEFORE court. :) It's not as easy as you'd think it should be... look at the person the answer is to go to, not to the person speaking your words for you!
God's blessings and our prayers. Your whole journey, Lisa and Darren, is taking me back there too! I'm remembering our lead-up-to-leaving too (and the tears when I left JJ at school the morning we flew out)
I am also reliving this through all of you. I remember all those feelings so well. Praying for them and for what they will face in the next few months. I can hardly believe that is been almost 13 years for Nikolas being home and almost 7 years of Katie being home. God is already there and has already seen the outcome! We rest in that!
Jerimiah 29:11 - 13
For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord.....plans for good NOT harm
Prayers for you all
Pam, South Bend
1. Court is a formality. By now, all of your paperwork has been looked at, scrutinized, by so. many. people. They've asked you for every change that they wanted. They made you do all this BEFORE they'd give you a court date. So...relax and enjoy. I don't say that flippantly. I really did enjoy my time in court.
2. Think about your five senses and what makes home. Do you have a favorite candle? Do you sleep best with your own pillowcase or sheets? What is you emergency comfort food? Is there a favorite photo or book you can bring? Some familiar music? This is what I look for when I am relocating. I don't consider it wasted space to pack my sheets, a couple favorite books, and a jar of peanut butter. It makes life easier. And, a little bit of ease and comfort is what you'll be craving.
I'm in St. Petersburg if I can be of any help!
(Not an IRK mama but in the process nearly as long...)
Thanks everyone! Kate-nice to hear from you, I followed your journey sporadically. =)
Post a Comment